Need some advice on fin rott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have a common pleco ( small kind ) with some pretty bad fin rot going on.

I would medicate it but I also have german rams in the tank which are supposed to be sensitive to meds.

What can I do instead of medicating?

45 gallon bowfront

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
? Nitrate

I do weekly 50% water changes and have a good bio load and tons of plants so that can't be the problem.

I do have a second pleco which seems to be fine so it's probably just stress from the second pleco In tank.

I don't have a second tank to isolate. So what can I do?

Hello,
*Notice*If this pleco stays under 6''(4''-6''), it's not a true common pleco, or was mislabeled and you will have a giant in you're hands.**

Fin rot is sign of poor water quality, or even stress. Is this fish new? Has he been transported a lot?
From you're description, this looks advanced. If it's very advanced, the risks of survival are slim. Thankfully, finrot is usually not contagious. I would recommend adding salt, vacuuming the gravel to remove excess food, doing water changes by-weekly of 50%. If you want to assure this fish to live, you must find some way to isolate it and try to heal it off a bit, and even use medication to prevent infection and help it heal quicker before it get's any worse. In these advanced cases, medication is usually mandatory, even if I personally hate using it.

No it's a small guy but, I don't want to risk my rams over a pleco. I have pretty good water conditions. Ill do some more waterchanges and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom