Need some betta help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought my betta a month ago. When I got him, his fins were all messed up typical of a betta in a cup. I set him up in his tank and added some bettafix in his tank but his fins haven't gotten any better. Is there something I can do for him that will help his fins? I haven't noticed him biting them and he's all alone in his tank. There's no red at the tips or any shred look to them. I'll post some pics of him in a little while when I can get some.

How long have you been using bettafix? I read a lot here that you need to keep an eye on the water and make sure is clean so i will heal faster! :fish1:

I only used the bettafix the first couple of times when I did water changes of his tank. He hasn't had the bettafix in about 2 weeks.

Making sure the water is as clean as possible, feeding a good quality food and though some on here may disagree, I like Melafix as I've had good resilts with it for fin/tissue healing. I have read posts on here say that Melafix should be used at half dose for Bettas as it can affect their Labyrinth organ. I personally haven't had any issues when Ive used it in a tank with Bettas.

i am not sure about bettafix, i am now using melafix for my swordtail, he has fin rot and in the instruction says to use it for 7 days so this is my 3rd day using it and i have to see what happen later. For you using a couple of days maybe wont help him to heal you have to read the instruction and follow it... i know everybody here don't like medications and the key is to keep the water clean, but i think some fish may need a little help from medications :huh:

Hijacking posts removed. Please don't hijack other people's threads.

Bettafix is melafix but only at 1/5 of the dose.
OP - does the fish have black or white edges on the torn fins or clear edges?

Last edited:
Is the tank cycled? Can you check for toxins in the water like ammonia?

Sorry its been so long since I updated this, I've been really busy since I posted. Its hard to tell Mumma, its my cellophane betta. He has white edges and clear edges but that's his coloring lol. The tank is a little 2.5 gallon that had a previous betta in it but I cleaned it up a bit before I put him in it and the other betta is fine. I need to get the picture of him up but I'm having some trouble getting a good one of him. I did another water change but I didn't add anything this time. I can do a test on the water and see what all the readings are in it.

This is the best pic I can get of him. His fins have always had the coloring they have now on them.

Attachments

• 2012-06-22_21-31-12_333.jpg
    2012-06-22_21-31-12_333.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom