need some help on this one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I bought six panda cories from a petshop and the first night one died. Then I got him replaced and a night or two later another died. I replaced him. Then another died. And a few nights later another.
No other fish have died in my tank except for the pandas.
I have a few theories:

1- the pandas have bad genetics and are weak due to inbreeding etc.
2- they got ammonia poisoning at the stores tank and didn't succumb to it until I brought them home.
3- my albino bristlenose pleco killed them. But this doesnt seem likely as he never attacked any of my julli corys that ive had longer than the pandas.
4- all the deaths are at night. My tank temp stays around 80F. I know higher temp water has less oxygen. I turn off my bubbler bar at night. Maybe they die bc of lack of oxygen? But that's not likely to me bc no other fish are dying.

What do you think? Its a big mystery to me and I'm getting quite fed up

From what I've heard, some corys are sensitive to changes in their parameters. How did you acclimate them?

I drip acclimated them for at least an hour each. And my parameters are perfect

From what I've heard, some corys are sensitive to changes in their parameters. How did you acclimate them?

That's probably your culprit! I forgot about the sensitivity of the cories! Edit: Okay, then maybe not and I'm back to number 1. I'm guessing that it happens more than you think it does...

I would say number one as well, this happened to me last year and my parameters were perfect

Yeah I guess its not ammonia posing bc they were acting normal in the stores tank. Actively swimming around on the bottom in their school

My tank is 30 gallons. And idk if my ph differs from theirs. My ph is high tho. Like 8

pH fluctuations are very harmful to most species but especially to the sensitive species. You should ask your lfs what their standard pH is. I'm lucky, my lfs is the same pH as mine.

What else do you have in this tank?

3- my albino bristlenose pleco killed them. But this doesnt seem likely as he never attacked any of my julli corys that ive had longer than the pandas.

I got an Albino Bristle nose a couple of months ago. I didn't know they could be that aggressive. They can solve your algae problem though!

Back
Top Bottom