Nemo and his oppo... fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

witch-1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After letting you know that my silver dollar has a somewhat missing fin (aptly names Nemo) and the other a raggedy tail fin - fin rot was mentioned.

I have been treating them thus - and just wondered how long before I notice an improvement. The treatment says to carry on every 24hrs until improvement seen... my brain tells me that regrowth would take some weeks! surely I don't treat them daily for that long????

Or do I just look for 'no worse'??

The dwarf gouramis that I got at the same time are fine, and the ottos also good (when I find them!)

Fin rot generally has a white edge, and the fins are gradually being eaten away. I would think that treatment can stop once the edges are clear & the fins are no longer getting worse. you certainly don't want to continue treating until the fins grow back.

An exception would be antibiotics. If you use antibiotics, you should complete a course of treatment (generally 10-14 days) to reduce selecting resistant bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom