Neon fat or pregnant? Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for nitrate suggestions ashleynicole. I thought I read somewhere on these forums that doing too many water changes in a short period or too much at one time messes with the pH which causes further distress to fish so I was trying to avoid that. I will try up to 50% today to see what happens.

This is a false statement, it is an old myth in regards to fish keeping. Water changes do not stress out fish and are very very very beneficial. I change about 50% of my water on a weekly basis. Unless you have really soft water, I don't see where there would be any issues with PH swings in regards to water changes. As long as you use the same type of water each time then it shouldn't be any different than what is in your tank.

Just as a test, put some water in a bucket and treat it with prime, and then test for nitrates. When I used to have nitrates in my tapwater I started using prime and was able to keep the levels in my tank at 20ppm.

ashleynicole said:
This is a false statement, it is an old myth in regards to fish keeping. Water changes do not stress out fish and are very very very beneficial. I change about 50% of my water on a weekly basis. Unless you have really soft water, I don't see where there would be any issues with PH swings in regards to water changes. As long as you use the same type of water each time then it shouldn't be any different than what is in your tank.

Just as a test, put some water in a bucket and treat it with prime, and then test for nitrates. When I used to have nitrates in my tapwater I started using prime and was able to keep the levels in my tank at 20ppm.

I agree. Though I think it only doesn't stress them out when they're used to it if you're doing frequent water changes (at least once a week). But if it's less often to where they're not used to it then they probably do get stressed out by not knowing what's going on.

Fat neon no better

Is it acting sluggish or hiding? Acting abnormally?

I can't exactly say if the fish is acting abnormally because the huge size makes it swim differently. I tried feeding him a pea for constipation but he just ignored it. This is day three of nothing to eat now. He doesn't look like he is unhappy with life, but I am having a hard time looking at him; he can't possibly be feeling good. One more day and I think it will be clove oil time.

I'm sorry to hear he's not making any progress. Looking at him again my best guess would be a tumor. If it was intestinal (parasites or constipation) I think he would be getting a lot worse quicker. I'm by no means an expert on the subject though.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry to hear he's not making any progress. Looking at him again my best guess would be a tumor. If it was intestinal (parasites or constipation) I think he would be getting a lot worse quicker. I'm by no means an expert on the subject though.

Didn't even think of a tumor! That makes a lot of sense.

Would a tumor be uniform though? He 'growth' if you want to call it that is completely symmetrical. Someone suggested dosing him with epsom salts. Has anyone tried that with any success?

Just a question I have about neons and dropsy, wouldn't they not pine cone since they're a scaleless fish? Or at least I'm pretty sure they are...

I think you must be right about the scaleless part. There is not any pineconing on the neon. The fish is not active. He won't move unless prodded and then he settles back down close to bottom of 10g. I have tried to feed him bits of cooked pea but he's not interested. I think he's even bigger than when I first took the pic. Do fish explode?

I'd hate to be the one to say this but I think it might be time to consider euthanasia. If he's getting worse, cant or won't swim, won't eat and is in visible stress I would. :(

Yes, I will be euthanizing tonight. He's on the down hill slide so there is no need to keep the agony going...

debisbooked said:
Yes, I will be euthanizing tonight. He's on the down hill slide so there is no need to keep the agony going...

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard. :( there is a sticky in the unhealthy fish section on humane ways.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'd hate to be the one to say this but I think it might be time to consider euthanasia. If he's getting worse, cant or won't swim, won't eat and is in visible stress I would. :(

How do you euthanise a fish? I've never heard of that with fish..

How do you euthanise a fish? I've never heard of that with fish..

Someone else posted the euthanasia link so I won't go into the whole subject. All of my fish are on the small side so the clove oil/vodka method works well for me when a fish is just too sick to recover. Essentially they go peacefully to sleep after being added to a smaller container of clove oil and tank water. There is a certain formula to follow depending on size of fish. After that takes effect the vodka does the rest. Bigger fish like Oscars, etc, may require a more 'vigorous' mode of dispatch. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom