Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Neon Problems

I have a small school of neons, but it seems to be getting smaller. About a week ago I noticed that one of my neons' tails was losing the red and turning white. I did a 25% water change, and all the levels look fine. Well he died. Today I noticed that another neon had the same loss of color in his tail. It looks like the red is being bleached out. The blue stripe on top stays very bright, but the red disappears. My water is testing fine and no changes have been made to the tank. Is this a neon disease or maybe a sign of old age in neons?? The water temp is 78-80 degrees, and I feed them a diet of flakes and dried tubifex. Anyone ever see anything like this?

Old 01-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
neons

What is your pH and hardness? Neons are somewhat sensitive...even more so than other tetras.
Logan J

Old 01-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ph is 7.2ish I am not sure about the hardness of the water. I would suspect it is fairly hard. But they have been doing well for about six months.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You know what my problem was...one shovelnose cat...he liked neon tetras
Old 01-09-2003, 05:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i had a school of neons, and one day I went upstairs and five had disapeared. All that was in the tank was one other and my sailfin pleco. I took the whole tank apart last night, the others inhabitants have since deseased. I still have not found them. I am going to get some toads tonight.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I have figured it out. I though I would share FYI. They have "Neon Tetra Disease" This disease is caused by a parasite that basically invades the fish's muscle tissue and destroys it causing the color to fade to a milky white. Usually along the spine. The parasite eventually causes cysts and may cause the fish's body to contort. Secondary infections may set in, such as fin rot or bloating. There is no cure for this disease. The only treatment is to remove and euthanize the infected fish. The disease is passed around by other fish eating or picking at an infected fish. I couldn't figure out how I got this disease in my tank, since I haven't introduced any new creatures in quite a while. I then read that it can be passed by Tubifex worms - something I routinely feed my fish! I have removed the infected fish and thrown away the freeze dried Tubifex worms. Hopefully I have solved the problem. I am a bit worried, because this disease is NOT limited to Neons. Any Tetra is at risk (except the cardinal tetra) as are cichlids... I have a great school of angels that I am hoping to breed as they become mature. I really hope that I don't have to start over with them!! Hope this helps others! :|
Old 01-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I haven't had neons before this last rebuild, so I've never heard of the Neon Tetra Disease. Thanks for sharing.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
Thanks for sharing Jasonit. I had a school of 4 neons and that is now a mere school of 2 - they can be very difficult to maintain and keep, but I think I've just about clocked it now.

What do you find your neons like to eat ??
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My neons liked to eat flakes, and ghost shrimp! I know it is weird but its true. It reminded me of Harlequin shrimp eating starfish. The tetras eat the eyes of the shrimp, the shrimp die of starvation. Then the neons have a feild day eating shrimp.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Quote:
My neons liked to eat flakes, and ghost shrimp
Must be expensive feeding them...

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com