Neon Swords in Danger!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i purchased 3 Neon Swords and 1 Flaming Dwarf Gourami Saturday(5 days ago), 2 of the 3 Neons acted odd as soon as i put them in the tank(very lethargic) and the after i got them home and acclimated i noticed the 3rd swordtail(the one that wasnt lethargic) has fin rot, so 2 days after purchase(monday) i lost one of the lethargic swordtails

as of this morning (one day after using melafix to treat the fin rot) both swords are still alive but now the swordtail with fin rot is acting kind of lethargic, neither of the swords have eaten at all since i brought them home(except i see them nibble at a little algae now and then)

the Gourami is doing well, it acclimated just fine, and doesnt seem to be having any trouble, its not eating any flake food or the brine shrimp i tried yesterday but ive seen it eat a few snails

What should i do about the swords, my water levels are perfect 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, i have 6 platys, 2 swords, 1 dg in the tank, and the platys are fine, its just the swords i got that are having issues

Blaze I think we have the same dang fish! Or at the very least out of the same batch! I have now lost all of my adult swords. The babies are doing great and going strong. After doing some research. I am thinking it might be dropsy. The mother sword was bloated up like I see in the pictures. But other than the lethargy I have seen no symptoms of anything until I lost momma this morning. She had no outward signs of anything being wrong until yesterday when she got very lethargic and hanging out on the bottom of the tank. She died this morning The babies moving and eating fine as are the platys and the cardinals.

Blaze I think we have the same dang fish! Or at the very least out of the same batch! I have now lost all of my adult swords. The babies are doing great and going strong. After doing some research. I am thinking it might be dropsy. The mother sword was bloated up like I see in the pictures. But other than the lethargy I have seen no symptoms of anything until I lost momma this morning. She had no outward signs of anything being wrong until yesterday when she got very lethargic and hanging out on the bottom of the tank. She died this morning The babies moving and eating fine as are the platys and the cardinals.

Lol Lol Lol, thats funny but great minds think alike right : ) lol, ya my mom stopped by my house today to play with my dog and she said she pulled another dead swordtail out, so now im down to one : (, think im going to take the last one back to the shop i got him from. going to get some neon tetras i think, u have good experience with your tetras?

Neons not so much they are the most delicate little things I have been having better luck with the cardinals. Main difference in the two is that the red stripe goes all the way across the body but you still get that beautiful neon color but they are a bit hardier than the standard neon. I have heard the the black neons are pretty good too but they just aren't as eye catching. I love that glow in the dark look that the cardinals and neons have!

Neons not so much they are the most delicate little things I have been having better luck with the cardinals. Main difference in the two is that the red stripe goes all the way across the body but you still get that beautiful neon color but they are a bit hardier than the standard neon. I have heard the the black neons are pretty good too but they just aren't as eye catching. I love that glow in the dark look that the cardinals and neons have!

Right on : ) ill look into the cardinal tetra, i just noticed neons need dark spots to hide and i like no dark spots in the tank, im also looking into the Harlequin Rasbora, but i dunno i really would love a school of bright tetras : )

Back
Top Bottom