Neon Tetra Die Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought four new neon tetras on Sunday of last week, I don't have a quarantine tank because my parents won't let me have one. Now I've got 2 neon tetras left their isn't any signs of disease except they fall over dead they be swimming fine one minute you turn your back and they are dead. Readings are
0 on everything (tank is heavily planted), the tank has been cycled and running for 6 months nothing is put into the tank except de-chlorinator.

Neons are known for being overbred and thus, they are not as healthy a species as they once were. I had the same experience.

How did you acclimate them? Sounds like you know what you're doing so I can presume it wasn't anything you did. ;)

It was 20 mins adjusting to temp. then I did half a cup of tank water for 20 mins and then another cup for 20 mins. dumped the water into a bucket catching the fish in a net then put them in a tank. Also I forgot to mention I had 4 other neon tetras in the tank at the time and there are now 2 total left one of the new ones and one of the old ones.

The tank is 29gallons
with 5 zebra danios
a small gbr
and a pleco

Any other fish in the tank?

I ended up having a horrible case of neon tetra disease when I bought my school. Wiped out half of my community tank before I decided to cull the neons.

Yup I'm thinking of isolating the two remaining tetra inside a 2.5 gallon bucket I have doing water changes after I do my water changes for the week I'm going to do a 75% change just to be sure there isn't anything else wrong, I'm worried though two of them completely vanished my guess is the pleco decided on a midnight snack he is a common pleco I got for my 8 gallon tank before I knew anything about fish keeping, now only thing in the 8 gallon is a betta.

Back
Top Bottom