Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Neon Tetra Disease?

I recently had an outbreak of columnaris in my tank. One of my neons caught it (I noticed cottony stuff around his mouth) but recovered. However, while he was sick, his colors faded However, more than a week after all trace of columnaris is gone from my tank, this neon's colors are still faded, perhaps not to the same degree that they were but still faded. I am worried that now my tank may have NTD and I fear my tank will be further decimated. What should I do? Thanks!
__________________

__________________
cobriaclord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
How quickly will neon tetra disease kill my fish? Please help!!!
__________________

__________________
cobriaclord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobriaclord View Post
I recently had an outbreak of columnaris in my tank. One of my neons caught it (I noticed cottony stuff around his mouth) but recovered. However, while he was sick, his colors faded However, more than a week after all trace of columnaris is gone from my tank, this neon's colors are still faded, perhaps not to the same degree that they were but still faded. I am worried that now my tank may have NTD and I fear my tank will be further decimated. What should I do? Thanks!
Hi, I found this site that said 2 to 3 days when symptoms are noticed.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...a-disease.aspx

Can I ask what you used to treat? I've been battling something in my neons for 2 weeks and wondering now if it is bacterial infection.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Hi, I found this site that said 2 to 3 days when symptoms are noticed.

Neon Tetra Disease

Can I ask what you used to treat? I've been battling something in my neons for 2 weeks and wondering now if it is bacterial infection.
I used hydrogen peroxide to treat my tank. I used 3% solution, 20 mL for my 37gallon tank. I took the filter media out before dosing. I did it once a day for multiples days accompanied with 50% water changes. I also turned down the temperature to like 74 to help weaken the columnaris.

Unfortunately, my tank started to heat up again because the AC in my apartment is broken. I noticed a little bit of the columnaris fungus on one of my cories so I just went through that step again.
__________________
cobriaclord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobriaclord View Post

I used hydrogen peroxide to treat my tank. I used 3% solution, 20 mL for my 37gallon tank. I took the filter media out before dosing. I did it once a day for multiples days accompanied with 50% water changes. I also turned down the temperature to like 74 to help weaken the columnaris.

Unfortunately, my tank started to heat up again because the AC in my apartment is broken. I noticed a little bit of the columnaris fungus on one of my cories so I just went through that step again.
Thanks for this, I've got some in the cabinet. I've got most of them in a 5 gallon QT. I don't think it is NTD as they have been like this for 10 days, still school and still eat well. Tank temp has gone up recently so that may tie in. No other fish is affected.

The multi-cure isn't doing much but whatever it is hasn't gotten worse. One has a growth about pinhead size on the mouth, a few have red streaks on the fins, 2 have a white blob on lower fin and one has a bruised, swollen base of tail so it's all over the place. Best guess is cotton mouth which I think means the same as columnaris.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Thanks for this, I've got some in the cabinet. I've got most of them in a 5 gallon QT. I don't think it is NTD as they have been like this for 10 days, still school and still eat well. Tank temp has gone up recently so that may tie in. No other fish is affected.

The multi-cure isn't doing much but whatever it is hasn't gotten worse. One has a growth about pinhead size on the mouth, a few have red streaks on the fins, 2 have a white blob on lower fin and one has a bruised, swollen base of tail so it's all over the place. Best guess is cotton mouth which I think means the same as columnaris.

Yea, sounds exactly like columnaris. I found the peroxide to be very helpful, You should use a very small dose with the 5 gallon though. Keep the water cold. Neons like cold water to begin with. Aquarium salt should also help.
__________________
cobriaclord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobriaclord View Post

Yea, sounds exactly like columnaris. I found the peroxide to be very helpful, You should use a very small dose with the 5 gallon though. Keep the water cold. Neons like cold water to begin with. Aquarium salt should also help.
Thanks for the information, every bit helps. The neons are not meant to be ideal for our water but up to now had been doing well. One last question is how long did you treat for?
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disease, neon, neon tetra, neon tetra disease, sea, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.