Neon Tetra Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had an outbreak of columnaris in my tank. One of my neons caught it (I noticed cottony stuff around his mouth) but recovered. However, while he was sick, his colors faded However, more than a week after all trace of columnaris is gone from my tank, this neon's colors are still faded, perhaps not to the same degree that they were but still faded. I am worried that now my tank may have NTD and I fear my tank will be further decimated. What should I do? Thanks!

I recently had an outbreak of columnaris in my tank. One of my neons caught it (I noticed cottony stuff around his mouth) but recovered. However, while he was sick, his colors faded However, more than a week after all trace of columnaris is gone from my tank, this neon's colors are still faded, perhaps not to the same degree that they were but still faded. I am worried that now my tank may have NTD and I fear my tank will be further decimated. What should I do? Thanks!

Hi, I found this site that said 2 to 3 days when symptoms are noticed.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/neon-tetra-disease.aspx

Can I ask what you used to treat? I've been battling something in my neons for 2 weeks and wondering now if it is bacterial infection.

Hi, I found this site that said 2 to 3 days when symptoms are noticed.

Neon Tetra Disease

Can I ask what you used to treat? I've been battling something in my neons for 2 weeks and wondering now if it is bacterial infection.

I used hydrogen peroxide to treat my tank. I used 3% solution, 20 mL for my 37gallon tank. I took the filter media out before dosing. I did it once a day for multiples days accompanied with 50% water changes. I also turned down the temperature to like 74 to help weaken the columnaris.

Unfortunately, my tank started to heat up again because the AC in my apartment is broken. I noticed a little bit of the columnaris fungus on one of my cories so I just went through that step again.

I used hydrogen peroxide to treat my tank. I used 3% solution, 20 mL for my 37gallon tank. I took the filter media out before dosing. I did it once a day for multiples days accompanied with 50% water changes. I also turned down the temperature to like 74 to help weaken the columnaris.

Unfortunately, my tank started to heat up again because the AC in my apartment is broken. I noticed a little bit of the columnaris fungus on one of my cories so I just went through that step again.

Thanks for this, I've got some in the cabinet. I've got most of them in a 5 gallon QT. I don't think it is NTD as they have been like this for 10 days, still school and still eat well. Tank temp has gone up recently so that may tie in. No other fish is affected.

The multi-cure isn't doing much but whatever it is hasn't gotten worse. One has a growth about pinhead size on the mouth, a few have red streaks on the fins, 2 have a white blob on lower fin and one has a bruised, swollen base of tail so it's all over the place. Best guess is cotton mouth which I think means the same as columnaris.

Thanks for this, I've got some in the cabinet. I've got most of them in a 5 gallon QT. I don't think it is NTD as they have been like this for 10 days, still school and still eat well. Tank temp has gone up recently so that may tie in. No other fish is affected.

The multi-cure isn't doing much but whatever it is hasn't gotten worse. One has a growth about pinhead size on the mouth, a few have red streaks on the fins, 2 have a white blob on lower fin and one has a bruised, swollen base of tail so it's all over the place. Best guess is cotton mouth which I think means the same as columnaris.

Yea, sounds exactly like columnaris. I found the peroxide to be very helpful, You should use a very small dose with the 5 gallon though. Keep the water cold. Neons like cold water to begin with. Aquarium salt should also help.

Yea, sounds exactly like columnaris. I found the peroxide to be very helpful, You should use a very small dose with the 5 gallon though. Keep the water cold. Neons like cold water to begin with. Aquarium salt should also help.

Thanks for the information, every bit helps. The neons are not meant to be ideal for our water but up to now had been doing well. One last question is how long did you treat for?

Back
Top Bottom