Neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both diseases?? ?

Any changes to muscle structure?

Or pooping ok? Looking at if parasites in muscles or intestines.

Yeah both.
The back end towards the tail has drooped in a few before dying. Haven't noticed them pooping they're so small 1 cm. Have been feeding medicated food (soaked ) and garlic added to the food as well, I'll try anything.
But the main thing is color lose and they can bloat.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

It's possible for the parasites. It does sound like something is going on internally.

If I did treat again, I'd lean towards furan 2 and metronidazole together. That would cover internal / external bacteria and some internal parasites.

It's possible for the parasites. It does sound like something is going on internally.

If I did treat again, I'd lean towards furan 2 and metronidazole together. That would cover internal / external bacteria and some internal parasites.

Ok, I'll order some more furan 2 they seem to cope ok with that, metronidazole is something I'll have to look up and see if I can order that haven't heard of it before.
Thanks again Delapool much appreciated ;)

Good luck with them.

Yes, furan 2 I've never really had much trouble with. Kanaplax seems a bit harsher but the fish are pretty unwell anyways.

Thanks, I've ordered furan 2 again so I'll try and medicate them for a second time. Hoping to get these little guy's better as I'm really wanting pygmy cories but don't want anyone else ill!

Ok, got a pic today off one of the fish. It's not great but you can see color is pale, belly swollen and a new thing is blood streaks on the tail? Which I thought had something to do with ammonia? So I checked
Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate under 5, PH 7. 2. So haven't a clue.
New med on order. 1464165958816.jpg

Sorry pic is really bad! They're so tiny!

Well seemingly some boraras have these red lines on their tails :rolleyes: soo ignore that'll last post I'll just go and hide! Lol

30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Red lines or marks could also be bacterial septicaemia if they appear suddenly.

I'd chase up the metro as well. Personally I'd still favour bacterial (or at least secondary bacterial) but the metro will hopefully deal with both.

Thanks, I'm looking for metro hopefully I'll find it.
Only one looking not good kinda pale but everyone else looks great. Definitely think it's my first batch from Lfs.

Having to euthanize one, it's the one with the red mark's on the tail? half the tail is gone, his gills are blood red.
Going to mix the metro into the food for them.

Starting metro today, hopefully this will work.

Fed metro and they ate it just fine.
Noticed a couple that their backends are drooping?
We'll see if this works.

Update
I've been feeding metronidazole 2 x daily , I had a poorly looking fish last night but can't find him this morning :eek: 4 don't look so good , if they stop eating I'm going to euthanize and see if I can at least save some of my last guy's ?
Also want to mention I'm using metro with shrimp and snails, it's having no effect on them. Just incase anyone needs to use this product with inverts.

Gee, that's tough :(

What are you dosing at the moment and how long for? From memory it was furan 2 and metro together.

Stopped furan, just adding less than half a scoop of metro mixed into their food and garlic, there's usually enough left for the next day as I keep it in the fridge.
I'm getting to the point that I'm thinking if they start becoming droopy at the backend I might euthanize? It seems endless ?

If not too expensive, you can run the furan 2 and metro together. Covers more bases.

I know it sounds harsh but I have found ones that you think won't make it, better to put them down or separate to their own QT. Only my thoughts though.

Hmm, the ones that you are guessing probably won't make it you could try a salt water dip. I've been told that sea level concentrations get some success but no idea on fish size or type. That would be a real long shot but if going anyways.

Last edited:
Tried the combo 2wks? And have been doing salt dips, it's just getting me no where sadly. Maybe restart again.
So difficult watching them going one by one, don't think I'll have fish in this tank again!
Thanks for the help ☺

I do 2 teaspoon per gallon didn't want to make it any stronger.

Sorry, it's early here - so furan2 has been tried for two weeks and just stopped. Metro has been going for several days now? Just trying to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom