Neon tetra disease and contamination.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 8 cardinal tetra 3 days ago and today 2 of them had developed the symtoms of neon tetra disease. (White patches, lumps, isolation from the group and one of fish had what looked like a curling spine.

I put 2 of them to sleep and removed the rest. They were in the tank 2 days.. just hoping my other tetra wont be effected.. i think at least one other cardinal is developing it and the rest will probably get it too:( horrible horrible disease.

Anyone experienced it? Anyone had any other tetra contract it?

tetrhyema

Yes i have had it before wuth my guppies. It will wipe out your entire tank. Take them out and give a warm salt bath in appropriate like one gallon container using either methelyne blue or malachite green. Put them in a brand new tank or while their in the bath steralize everything everything everything with bleach. Throw your substrate away. Throw away any sick fish. They will not survive. It is a deadly and tough to kill invisible parasite that lives in the gravel and can number in the millions. Be responsible and give them a good quick beheading. Dont do not give any fish or plants or irnaments to other fish hobbyists. More than likely your ginna loose most of them. You must stearilize. Im sorry to hear your fish are sick. It dosent happen alot. Contact where you git them from unless you used unwashed gravel ir sand from the lake
But call them and stearilize everything and let dry thourly. It happened to me when i used unwashed playsand from walmart one time. Always wash with hot water at least.

Wait is it white fuzzy or like tan undearneath their skin? If its white fuzzy its a columnaris with secondary fungal. If its tan undetneath then its neon tetra aka tetrahyema parasite.

Back
Top Bottom