Neon Tetra Hanging Near Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again,

My neon tetra has recently been hanging around behind the heater and filter. I find it sometimes with its tail pointing up, and for a few moments of swimming around after I scare it out, it's colors are dimmed. I can easily get it out (just show my face to it and it swims out immediately), but I'm starting to get worried as this has happened quite frequently lately.

Thanks.

Hello again,

My neon tetra has recently been hanging around behind the heater and filter. I find it sometimes with its tail pointing up, and for a few moments of swimming around after I scare it out, it's colors are dimmed. I can easily get it out (just show my face to it and it swims out immediately), but I'm starting to get worried as this has happened quite frequently lately.

Thanks.

Do you only have the one neon? Now's not the time to get more with a possibly sick fish, but they should be kept in groups of 4-5 or more. I've had neons and this behavior is not a good sign. I've had mild success with Melafix when a neon behaves like this. This assumes your water and parameters are already excellent. Though I had temporary recovery, a fish that behaves like this has always died a matter of weeks to months. Sadly, since there are no definite symptoms of something that has a name treating with something mild that won't do more harm than good and hoping for the best is all I can recommend.

Okay, thanks. And no, I have two. (I had more but they all died.) Should I quarantine or euthanize him? I don't want anyone else getting sick...

I've never had it spread, but that's my experience. Sadly, without being able to Identify the problem, there is no advice I can offer other than the above and perhaps try more aeration.

Sorry about your tetras, neons are very delicate and are very inbred so they tend to die for no apparent reason. If you want more tetras cardnial tetras seem to be much tougher along with glowlights, and black neons.

I didn't get cardinals because several sites warned about how delicate they were. Neons were "hardy." Haha. And also, the one in question is swimming around with his buddy just fine now.

One of my guppies has been exhibiting the same behavior now. I'd guess this is just her normal pregnancy behavior, but her stomach is still tiny.

Back
Top Bottom