Neon Tetras - Cotton wool like nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollasoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60L Marina tank.
I have 5 neon tetras
2 shrimp
2 white clouds
2 guppies
2 ottos

Did a water change at the weekend.
Tested last night and
ammonia 0
nitrites were at 25?
Nitrates at 5
So did another water change.
About to retest today and possibly do another water change.

But I digress.
4 Ottos were added 2.5 weeks ago, 2 have since died. 1 last week, the other yesterday morning. Both seemed healthy.

A week or so ago, one of the tetras appeared to have what seems to be a cotton wool like substance on his nose. I did a bit of research and it has been said to add salt to the water.

Two days ago, I noticed another seems similar. So I started getting worried.

It looks like a fungal infection. So I've started researchig possible cures.

When I did the last two water changes, I did add aquarium salt. (I normally add some anyway).

Today, I've noticed a third tetra has the symptons also and one of the others has it on his side now.

I've got some fungus and finrot treatment, but that says you should remove the carbon and zeolite filters from the aquarium.

(I've also got some Methylen blue if needs be. I've assuming I shouldn't use both, but which one to try first.)

This worries me also.

I am using the Marina slim filter systme, which uses two types of cartridges.

Bio-carb - combines activated carbon and Ceramitek (biological)
Bi-clear - combines zeolite and Ceramitek

So essentially. That means I need to remove the filters for up to a week and risk poisoning the poor things.

What so I do with the filters? I'm assuming after a week the healthy bacterial will be dead, so I'd end up with having to cycle with fish. (or do I just leave the cartridges in the tank and not necessarily within the filter system, so water isn't running direclty through it).

Help!!! I need advice on how to proceed.

Now four of the tetra's are showing symptons.

I did another water test last night, values were all at the bottom of the scale. I did another water change anyway.

I really need advice on how to proceed with the medication and the filter cartridges.

I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Chris

Make a tub of water with temperature closely matching that of the tank. Dose 2 times the recommended dosage per gallon of methylene blue in the tub. Take any fish that appear to have the cottony substance and place them in the tub for 15-20 minutes. Then remove the fish and place them back into the aquarium.

Ottos aren't known to be the most hardy fish out there, so them dying on you isn't all that uncommon and not really an indicator that something is wrong in your tank.

Also do a 70-80% water change in your aquarium.

Thanks for that.

I will go and get my spare tank, set it up for the purpose, least I can get the old heater to keep the temperature at the right level.

If you check by hand, that should be sufficient enough. The temps need to be close and not exact.

Wel,, Done the deed. Was very stressful, trying to get the little things out of the initial tank, much easier when I put them back. Did a 60% water change at the same time. Will possibly do another water change tomorrow.

Time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom