Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Neon tetras not being active

I have 3 neon tetras that used to be active. They schooled loosely and always were checking stuff out. Now, they spend most of their days at the tank bottom. They only move when it's feeding time or I accidentally bump the tank. They are not pale at all and don't look sick, but I'm not sure. I don't have a test kit, but I'm getting one for Christmas I think. I also found one of them stuck to the filter recently but still alive and well. He was pale when I freed him but he recovered back to normal in about 10 minutes. I don't think they are lonely, they used to be very chipper together. I only have enough space to add one more, will that make any impact? I don't want to give them away, they are very dear to me and were my first fish. Please help...

Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Neon tetras need a big school, I don't know what size tank you have but it's recommended you have no less than 6, there's api freshwater master liquid test kits on sale on Amazon right now, I'm not sure where you live and are able to get one but in my personal opinion it's a must have for an aquarium, the more neons you have the tighter they will school, also neons are fragile and need very specific water parameters, no ammonia no nitrite 5-20 nitrate and thrive better in pH 6.5-7 but can handle 5-7.5.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511743455.610420.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	305258 this is them. I can only add one more, I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 neons, 2 mysteries, and 2 RCS. I am adding 3 kuhlis to the bunch and since Aqadvisor says that is the most I can add I am gonna heavily plant the tank.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuhliCray View Post
Attachment 305258 this is them. I can only add one more, I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 neons, 2 mysteries, and 2 RCS. I am adding 3 kuhlis to the bunch and since Aqadvisor says that is the most I can add I am gonna heavily plant the tank.
Aqadvisor goes by the old rule 1"per gallon, if you want your neons to be healthy and active you'll need a bigger school, here's an example I have a 55 gallon that technically is overstocked (9 rainbows, 6 lemon tetras, 6 candy CANE tetras, 1 3.5" calico BN) and I will be upping my school of tetras to 10 each, but with the proper filtration, proper pwc's I don't have issues with water parameters, I would wait on the kuhlis and up the scoool of neons.

You can up the tank to 20 gallons for very cheap if you have the space/funding for it which would allow you to up the scoool and get the kuhlis which are also a schooling fish that need 5+ if you're worried about overstocking, you are picking schooling fish and most if not all need 6+

EDIT : kuhlis need 3 not 5 sry for the false information.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^+1^^
K
I agree with Potluck, you can easily stock 4 more Neons in your tank. Neon Tetras are low impact fish that don't cause very much waste. Not much chance of the additions overloading your system. Your Neons have nice coloration and look healthy. You must be taking good care of them.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

So could I add 3 more neons and still add the kuhlis?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kuhlis are little Loaches and are also low impact fish. It will likely be okay to add them if you are extra careful not to over feed and make 50% WC's once a week.
When your situation allows, consider buying a larger tank. You'll like it and so will your fish.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Kuhlis are little Loaches and are also low impact fish. It will likely be okay to add them if you are extra careful not to over feed and make 50% WC's once a week.

When your situation allows, consider buying a larger tank. You'll like it and so will your fish.

Is it okay if I stick to my 30 percent water change schedule? I was doing 30 percent because I have a bit of a planaria and hydra problem.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a crowded tank, larger WC's help ensure healthy water parameters, but it's your decision to make.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
With a crowded tank, larger WC's help ensure healthy water parameters, but it's your decision to make.

Okay. I can determine if the ammonia is safe by just taking a sniff. If the ammonia is higher than it should be, there will be a strong foul odor that you can smell from afar. Also, I found white blotches on a neon of mine... I didn't notice it at first because the place where new tail fin is growing back is white naturally. (They used to quarrel)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511752563.001538.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	305261

Tags
neon, neon tetra, neon tetras, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com