neon with lockjaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found the second neon I've had with what seemed like some sort of lockjaw. It was unable to close its mouth fully and seen from the side, it appeared to protrude from the rest of its body like it had a cigarette. No other species of fish showed signs of this.

the tank is a 30 gallon community tank with a pair of rams, 4rummy nose, 3het raspboras, three danios, 2 green cories, some ottos (rarely seen) and one last neon. I haven't seen the amano shrimp out in a while, but whenver I write him off, he pops out for a day or so from the Java Ferns.

water has tested fine over the last few months. low nitrates and pH a hair over 7 with the API color comparisons.

I euthanised the ill neon with an icebath and looked over the cadaver carefully, there seemed to be a septic streak along the ventral side between the anal and caudal fin, but no other fish in the tank are exhibiting the behavior or visible symptoms.

He moved fairly slowly and was very easy to net.

This is probably my last shoal of neons as it saddens me to see them develop such weird symptoms before they expire. Maybe it's the aquatic version of hip dysplasia?

Anyone else have an explanation for the strange jaw symptom?

When it happened withthe earlier one, no one really had a clue. My only thought at the time was that it may have gotten caught in the filter intake or something(aquaclear 50). .

It seems unlikely that it is something that simple as the likelihood of the exact same injury/outcome seems probable.

Back
Top Bottom