Neon with mouth open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
heys guys, I noticed that one of my new neons has his mouth open all the time and stays in the same spot, paddling to keep his position. What could cause this?

Had two dead fish in the tank a week ago, shoulda went away by now, hes the only one, I got 4 more, that came out to 8 altogether. Man, I need to put some of this informtation in my profile, Ive had this tank running for 6 months.

Will he get over it?

If nothing changes, no, he won't get over it. That's why we can try to find the reason. Otherwise, he will most certainly die.

BTW do you use dechlorinator?

pH is about 6.8

I dont have a nitrate/nitrite test kit.

I did about a 2/5ths PWC.

I put alot of that Doc Wellfish's Stress Coat in, and put the same brand aquarium salt in. The usual things I do on a PWC.

Now that I just woke up and Im looking at him, hes kinda swimming around a small 6 inch corner of the tank.

You don't need salt and stress coat! That's just junk your lfs probably sold you to make money! Get a good dechlorinator like everybodys favourite Prime to detoxify, chlorine, chloramines, and other heavy meatals. It's highly concentrated so it'll last you a long time. That Doc Wellfish's Stress Coat is not really a dechlorinator mainly just some slime coat enhancer, which is useless!

Get a nitrite/ammonia test kit. The systoms your fish shows are those of a poisoning. Make another pwc today, about 50%.

Alright, Ill have to tell my mom to stop getting it lol, she puts it in her goldfish tank all the time after a PWC.

Ok, so I will change the water again today, though I have a question. The water here in NY has a pH rating of about 7.8 to 8, is there an easier way to keeping it at 6.8 instead of having to put some of those acid pellets in there from Seachem?

Driftwood lowers the pH a little bit, with the tannins, just like peat moss, but both migh color the water slightly yellow, which would be considered as Blackwater (also good for Neons). Besides, CO2 helps bring the pH down a little too, but you should only consider it when having plants that need CO2 and don't add too much just to bring the pH down, which could kill your fish.

I think keeping the pH at 7 would already be ok for the neons. That way you don't have to bring it down so much 8O , that's really a lot! Don't you want to consider keeping fish that are more around neutral and basic pH. That way your fishes, you and your wallet might not have to stress so much.

Well its too late now, and I dont know what is even available. I like the kinds of fish that I have. I think goldfish are boring lol.

Well I think that is up to your taste, but to be honest goldfish are not one of my favourites neither.

How is your tetra doing? Did you make that waterchange?

Back
Top Bottom