Neon with Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a neon in my 20 gallon tank and I am pretty sure he has popeye.

2 questions:
1- can I just treat it with salt
2-will this kill them or just make them look funny if left untreated?

In my tank I have juli cory cats, micky platy, bosemani rainbow, nerite snail, red gourami. all these guys can tollerate the salt right? I am new to the cory cats so I just wanted to make sure.

thanks for everyone's help!
PS and yes, I know the rainbow fish likes to be in groups - he is recovering from a nipped tail

Popeye can come from high Nitrates, or from a tank that is cycling (or re-cycling as the case may be)

I would test all (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and do more water changes immediately before adding salt...not sure your snail will like the salt treatment...

On occasion, fish may show a pronounced swelling to one or both eyes, a condition referred to as "pop-eye" by hobbyists. In the absense of any other symptoms, and assuming the fish is feeding well and otherwise behaving normally, no treatment is necessary. In fact, there appears to be no reliable treatment for "pop-eye", and hence it is fortunate that the problem does not seem to be very infectuous. Given time, the swelling will often subside, leaving the fish apparently unaffected.

Thanks for the info guys... I will work on my water changes. He was a transfer from a different tank so that may have been the problem. So just clean water should clear him up?

Back
Top Bottom