Neons & Cardinals are dropping like flys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 14 neons and 5 cardinals plus 12 rummy nose and they are just dropping like flys what can be the cause?

neon tetra disease most likely. theres no cure for it sorry, see if you cant sperate the sick from the healthy, and do big pwcs

hc8719 said:
neon tetra disease most likely. theres no cure for it sorry, see if you cant sperate the sick from the healthy, and do big pwcs

You can't just say NTD. He might have high ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. You have to ask for tank parameters, tank size, tank history based on water changes and any additions to the tank, and how long the fish have been in the tank. Fish die of due to a multitude of reasons, you have to get as many details as possible. If it was NTD you should have asked if the fish were discolored in any way.

Sorry to beat on you man, I'm an engineer and it's my job to solve problems. Gathering as much information as possible is critical to any investigation.

why ask about params? if someones losing fish, they'd know if their params were terrible, they'd test.

but your right, it could be a multitude of things, uncycled water, cold water. i just figured on an experienced aquarist level, i didnt factor in stuff other people dont take for granted

Are these neons new additions? I have found it rather difficult to find quality neon stock. I went through a bunch before I found a batch that lasted. They are starting to dwindle now, but I havent run into a good looking bunch in so long I havent bought any.

the neons are about 1 month old, the cardinals about 2 weeks and the rummy about 1 week I have lost 2 rummy nose, parameters look good 7.5 ph 0 amm 0 nitrite and about 20 nitrates, I found four of my tetras stuck to the intake and the rest floating or on the gravel floor dead.

Still need to know how large is the tank you were keeping them in? Tank temp? Other fish in the tank? Were the fish discolored such as NTD would result in? Refer to NTD link:

http://www.erdingtonaquatics.com/treatment/treatment5.html

It may very well be NTD. My fish didn't show any signs of NTD until I had a heater accident and the tank temp hit 96. The NTD killed off all my tetras and many other non-tetras also. I'm totally convinced that every will caught neon has this disease. My local fish store has typical 50%-75% loses do to NTD when they receive a new shipment of neons. Some fish arrive already discolored showing signs of the disease. I haven't bought any neons let alone any wild caught fish for a while. You're almost gauranteed to have some sort of parasite or disease.

Neons don't necessarily have NTD if their color is lacking. Stress and other diseases will cause their coloration to suffer. NTD will look like a film of white growing slowly over the body. Pleistophora affects the muscle tissue and as it develops the necrotic tissue turns white. There is no known cure for pleistophora.

I would think you do not have NTD because, strangely enough, cardinals are mysteriously resistant to the horrors of pleistophora. Besides most of the testras, cichlids, cyprinids and even goldfish pleistophora infections have been known to occur.

How old is the tank? All 3 of those tetras are sensitive fish. Did they all come from the same LFS? It is not unusual to lose a few of those types of tetras when introduced to a tank.

zacusmaximus said:
Neons don't necessarily have NTD if their color is lacking. Stress and other diseases will cause their coloration to suffer. NTD will look like a film of white growing slowly over the body. Pleistophora affects the muscle tissue and as it develops the necrotic tissue turns white. There is no known cure for pleistophora.

I would think you do not have NTD because, strangely enough, cardinals are mysteriously resistant to the horrors of pleistophora. Besides most of the testras, cichlids, cyprinids and even goldfish pleistophora infections have been known to occur.

Lack of color may not have been the best way to describe it. It's not a discoloration, but a color change in the tissue usually in the dorsal area of the fish. Once you've seen it you'll recognize it otherwise it's kind of hard to do it justice in words. Look at some photos of fish with NTD.

ok guys let me be the light to your questions and maybe glasses too lol
look at my sig and youll see all the details of tank, for the temp it is at about 80 and the tank has been up for about 6 months establish.

not sure how true it is, but i have heard that it is not possible for cardinals to get neon tetra disease, but that could just be a myth

now my rummys are dropping like flys too, could it be type of plants I have or maybe the new addition yoyo loach?

I don't have any ideas as to what is wrong. I have never had a problem with my neons, although everyone says they are such delicate fish. I added six to a barely cycled tank four months ago and they are still going strong despite many newbie mistakes. Must have a good lfs.

Back
Top Bottom