Neons with discoloration and lumpy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 neons with orange/white lumpy discoloration at the base of their tails? It looks under the skin, not on. But I can see through to them. Any ideas?IMG_0076.jpgIMG_0080.jpgIMG_0083.jpgIMG_0113.jpg

I don't know what it is but I had some like that. None made it. It did not spread

I took them out of my main tank and put them in with the snails. No other fish for it to spread to. But damage could already be done.

I had some showing like that at tail base with other neons that had cottonmouth or saddleback - also didn't get any surviving.

No fuzz or cotton yet. I'll keep them isolated and hope for the best and expect the worst.

@TMaier I wish you the best of luck with them and hopefully isolating them will take some stress away along with giving them plenty of fresh water to heal in. Hope they pull through for you. I haven't seen anything like on neons but I've only been keeping them a little bit over a year

I have heard whispers that this is the dreaded big "C" rearing its ugly head again. First wave was back in November when I added a few new neons that all died and took my Betta and a few khuli loaches with it.

Well FINE then. Any fish that wants to whimp out and check out needs to just be done with it. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. Anyone suffering I will help send on their way.

My first and foremost love are my inverts and plants.

I love my Khuli's but they are second in line.

Tank can go fishless for a year.

Geez sometimes aquariums are a PITA.

Good news (if a silver lining) is I had loaches go through three lots of it and never any trouble (fingers crossed!).

Only thing I found while researching the discoloration was maybe false neon tetra disease. What do y'all think this could be?

Only thing I found while researching the discoloration was maybe false neon tetra disease. What do y'all think this could be?

In my case I could of been unlucky and had both but assumed it was all bacterial as I didn't see any lumps or discoloured spots on the main body of the fish. Which is where I assume NTD would start from the intestinal tract and then into I guess the muscles and organs. But interested in anything as not read much on that.

Saddleback I find it interesting and puzzling that it and above symptoms appear at base of finage. Cottonmouth I can understand as maybe some damage from eating but why saddleback occurs there seems strange.

Unfortunately whatever it is, by the time it can be seen on small fish, difficult to cure ime.

If it is FNTD then the fish should respond to Maracyn2 I believe...Pretty sure M2 is tetracycline.
FishProfiles.com - False Neon Tetra Disease (fNTD)

Maracyn is a brand name of erythromycin, for treating gram positive cocci bacteria.

Maracyn 2 is minocyclin, a tetracycline antibiotic. It will treat a broader spectrum of bacteria.

Maracyn Plus is like Bactrim for people, a sulfa antibiotic plus trimethoprim. Gram positive cocci again.

At a discus presentation here, minocycline was recommended (although I assume soft water). Proprietary information on the other antibiotic he combined it with so we didn't find out what the other med was except the two used work in combination but impact bacteria in different ways.

Have had luck with triple sulpha by itself. No luck with equivalent of maracyn plus here in medicated food (maybe a bit old or meds too slow / ineffective).

Did come across a research article and the M plus combination itself is fine and should work better than seperate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom