Neontetra diseases?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
The sick neon tetra has been living in a 30 gallon tank with a Aquaclear70. 14 other neons 6 glolights 3 otos and some ghost shrimp. 5 of the neons are new but are healthy and were added after 3 weeks quarantine with no problems.Tank has been set up for several years and is stable with water changes once every week (sometimes every 2 if I get busy) Nitrates never surpass 5-10 (the tank is planted) They eat predominately omega one flakes though also get frozen food of different varieties occasionally.

One older neon (one of the largest already) started swimming on its side. After a couple days I decided to move it to quarantine to see if a fast would improve things.

Now it is in a 5 gallon which had previously been the 5 new neons quarantine and so it is not a new setup either (I didn't bleach/clean the filter because the new guys showed no health problems.) He has been fasting. I tried feeding peas or veggie based frozen foods a couple times but I don't think he is eating them.

No improvements. In fact now it seems worse. He can swim around on his side but he mostly floats on the same side. Not always right at the surface but usually close. He looks quite bloated all over (no sign of pinecone scales) and there seems to be a bruise like coloration on his lower abdomen.

I can't seem to find any description/solution that matches this situation. I know sometimes there is nothing you can do, but any suggestions as to what is going on would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom