Nerite Snail.... Dying?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I got 6 nerites the other day... ALL are fine except this one that seems to be completely shriveled up and dead looking...

However, he is still putting up a fight when I tug on the opening of his shell and is still moving periodically.. I set him face down in hopes that he will take off and start munching algae, but he just sits there all shriveled looking... I try to help him attach to glass.. he tries halfheartedly and gives up... I even came in recently to find him turned upside down with the shriveled side up..

so my question is..

What's the deal?! I feel bad because I don't know what's going on... All of my other snails are fine, Amanos are fine, Rubberlip pleco-- A-OK!

Just this one zebra nerite seems to be struggling.

Corbo said:
Ok, I got 6 nerites the other day... ALL are fine except this one that seems to be completely shriveled up and dead looking...

However, he is still putting up a fight when I tug on the opening of his shell and is still moving periodically.. I set him face down in hopes that he will take off and start munching algae, but he just sits there all shriveled looking... I try to help him attach to glass.. he tries halfheartedly and gives up... I even came in recently to find him turned upside down with the shriveled side up..

so my question is..

What's the deal?! I feel bad because I don't know what's going on... All of my other snails are fine, Amanos are fine, Rubberlip pleco-- A-OK!

Just this one zebra nerite seems to be struggling.

Hard to say, but can he foul your water in that state?

Wondered the same thing... He doesn't smell... But he looks bad... I just keep hoping for recovery... But hope seems little to none. Thought about euthanizing... But I don't want to

Corbo said:
Wondered the same thing... He doesn't smell... But he looks bad... I just keep hoping for recovery... But hope seems little to none. Thought about euthanizing... But I don't want to

Can you setup a little QT for him, even a bucket? Put some tank water and gravel to give him something to eat. At least if he does pass it won't affect your tank.

Good luck and I hope he makes it. I love watch our snail as much as the fish :).

When coming in new I've had a snail sit for 5 days before taking off. From what I've heard, it's not unusual for them to go into a semi-hibernation state. When I suspect one, I remove it every day and give it a sniff. If it doesn't have an odor, back in it goes. If it's dead you'll know it...it begins to smell. I have tried some in unheated tanks and they haven't done so well. Not sure exactly what minimum tank temp these guys need but I wouldn't take a sleeping/hibernating one out and leave it in unheated water.

yes..not a good sign :( I got 6 from petco a while back and I think 2 were already dead when they bagged them.

Yeah they are super cool. I especially love the green horned!

I don't know why that posted twice. I really want to pick up some horned nerites. They look like little warriors. Haha

Back
Top Bottom