Nervous about possible myco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had an idea it was more common around the gills but only from reading threads. If furan 2 gets rid of it then problem solved. Are you seeing anything else on the fish or could it be a one-off ulcer?

If he dosent show any other symptoms, must just be a wound...
Ive read in order to successfully diagnosis TB, you must see most if not all of the symptoms, if there is no stringy poo, clamping, spitting out food, emancipation or spine bending, I would not worry about it as of yet.

He's been in furan for 4 days. It's not any better. I dosed with kana, and I think he's been in it since 2-5 pm yesterday. Still not any better.

Not sure what to do next.

I had an idea it was more common around the gills but only from reading threads. If furan 2 gets rid of it then problem solved. Are you seeing anything else on the fish or could it be a one-off ulcer?

It currently looks like a one off ulcer and I'm pretty sure this has happened before with these fish. rainbows like to beat the hell out of each other (among the males) so this isn't terribly shocking. Furan/kana don't seem to be working though.

I ordered oxytetracycline medicated food so they've never been exposed to that recently or if at all. So I'll have that on hand.

Can't remember if you checked tank chemistry? Anything off there, even temp or different tap water, doesn't help ime.

Its a waste of time to try and treat Fish TB
Your better off just culling them and starting over.
Fish would have to be on rotating antibiotics for at least 2 months straight.
You can't go wrong with the OxyTet. tho, its by far my favorite antibiotic, good to have on hand, but you might just have to concede defeat and save your meds for later.
A fresh start isnt so bad, and sometimes leads to very good new beginnings.

Actually. One of the rainbows recently had a strange fungus that would not go away.

I'm not actually thinking myco at this point. I've had instances of columnaris in my tank and because of the yellowish mucous center I'm suspecting this might actually be a form of columnaris similar to the other rainbowfish.

For now I will be destroying all of the rainbows and leaving the bottom feeders as this is affecting rainbows right now.

Aermonas, pseudomonas (tail rot) and columnaris can all cause symptoms like fish TB because they are all bacterial infections, the open red sores dosent sound good tho, are they emancipated (skinny?) Stringy poo? these are the main signs of TB
Aermonas can cause open red sores, often in fish kept too cold for their comfort and in dirty water. (also stressed)
Oxytetracycline is very effective in the control of bacterial infections of all sorts, except TB which is basically untreatable.
Replied to you PM too.

See it actually lightened in color after the kanaplex. No white stringy poo. Not skinny.

Nothing other than this sore.

I've had yet another idea here - Hemorrhagic septicemia. Here's why -
He's missing all the tell tale signs of Fish TB. He's not emaciated, not skinny, no stringy poo, and it's quite mucousy and seems to have a bit of a layer over it.
Hemo Septicemia is viral hence why it wouldn't respond to meds and would choose the weakest host, and also extremely difficult to cure. that would explain the lightening of the wound while it hasn't healed.
The ulcer itself seemed to "emerge" from underneath the skin.

So its either:
1. Myco (theory 1)
2. Hemorrhagic septicemia
3. columnaris infection -possibly-.

I'm actually considering asking my school to sort of, uh, cut him open when he's dead.
That or I may be enough of a lunatic to do it myself.

You could take it to a vet or a research like a college, they can look for "nodules" that form on fish with severe TB
If its aermonas, columnaris, then the oxytetracycline will definitely work

I'd still suspect bacterial, it's just a matter of finding meds that will work. It's a decent sized ulcer to clear up. For all that furan 2 is a good med, I've seen it make no difference to helping an infected fish sometimes.

I'm still going with bacterial for now. It's not uncommon for this group of rainbows to not respond to furan. That's happened before.

Another fish had suspected columnaris and it took two rounds of kana and furan to even get the cotton to just go away, no less actually having the wound heal.

They have a tendency to get some very nasty and some extremely difficult infections to clear up.

Needless to say I'm not getting anymore rainbow fish ever. They're just too much hassle and harbor way too much bacteria, some of which is hard to even diagnose. There's been days I gave up sleep to do a water change, so there's no way it's lack of pwcs. You can't tell me it's my water when I have three filters running and three bottom feeders who literally live amongst the poop if the tank is dirty. The pictus have never been sick, not even once. The synodontis has gotten fungus in the past but nothing awful recently. I've had tetras live PAST their expected lifespans aka longer than five years. In addition to that, I've reversed hole in the head disease.

The tetras only began getting sick once the rainbows came. In fact, this is so annoying, I'm not adding new fish until all of these dither fish die. Rainbows are hardy, yes, but for anyone who considers them, I am of the opinion they need a species only tank after having experienced this ridiculous saga and sleepless nights of worry.

Secondly if they're this difficult to cure that means they had to be heavily treated when they were for sale.

I don't have the heart to bring them to the pet store which accepts fish because they have dead fish constantly.

For the record though they're the only fish I've ever had who seem like they "always have something".

Well I have some good news. It looks better. It's less red and more pink, the yellow is surrounding it, with more white (not fungus white) in the middle. Oxytetracycline flakes come today. It's still obviously an ulcer, but it looks slightly better.

It might be a bit smaller but hard to say.

Here's higher res images:

img_3380036_0_ef122c4f88707e88d755f8f13ce35bf3.jpg

img_3380036_1_e292258ce911422dc3b878e7e2944542.jpg

The yellow is clearly seen over here as well as some white edges. Any thoughts on if this is a result of healing?

Keeping a bit of a log for anyone who is following this thread and for google (nothing I hate more than finding my problem and not finding out what happened)

I am taking pictures daily to monitor. This is day 2 of oxytetracycline flakes and the ulcer is visibly darker. almost as you'd see in dried up blood.

I am feeling better about this. I am giving all of my small fish (not catfish) the flakes as well since they have some odd scrapes and bumps here and there and something has been spreading through my tank. The lighting is largely the same and taken with the same camera largely at the same time of day so the darkness should be genuine drying up of the ulcer.

Here's hoping.

Hoping as well. I really couldn't tell from the photos but do tend to try as well and look at it similar to healing wound or infection on a person and just see if it looks better. Mainly the wound / infection should be reducing and not spreading I guess I watch for.

Back
Top Bottom