New 10G (getting back into hobby) - please help setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99RedSi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone -

I just registered today but the aquarium bug bit me a few weeks ago.

I'm going to buy a 10g tank to see if I truly want to get back into the hobby or not.

My list thus far:

Filter: Aquaclear 150 (or Mini?)
Heater: 50W
Substrate: Silica Play Sand (Southdown?)
Test Kits: AQ Master Kit or Hagen Master Kit
Background: Oceanvisions self-adhesive background
Dechlorinator: Amquel
Fish Food: Omega (One? - I can't remember the name from a few years back!)

First of all the filter: I loved my AC200 back when I had it on my old 29g (which is now gone). I want to somewhat over filter the tank so the water quality stays top-notch. Can the Mini get that done or do I need to step up to the 150?

I've been entertaining one of the TetraTec's so I can get the heater module as I do NOT like "pieces" in the tank, especially eye-sore heaters.

Heater: Either an Ebo-Jager or a titanium heater of some type, 50W. Unless i do the TetraTec thing.

Substrate: I definetly want to try the sand thing this time around. I've done the planted tank flourite thing before. Time for a change! Oh and this is NOT a planted tank! Just fish and some decor.

Background: Where can I get the Oceanvisions self-adhesive background? Or any other suggestions for a 10g background?

Or I could just skip the whole 10 gallon thing and get an Eclipse System 12 (glass, not many left) on eBay and call it a day. BUT I'd like to someday use the 10g to do a mini/nano reef (whatever they are called) and/or a small planted tank.

FISH:

Hatchets (3): for top dwellers
Cardinal Tetras (4-6): for middle dwellers (or another *small* tetra species)
Cories (3-4): for bottom dwellers

I could just ditch a few cardinals (go with 4 instead of 6) and grab an Otto - what do you think?

What about ghost shrimp - do they eat algae?

I've had cardinals in the past and I love those little guys! I also love cory's :). I've never had hatchets but would like a top dweller of some type, something unique would be nice.

Half the fun is planning, at least for me, as that is my personality :).

What do you think? Improvements and suggestions?

I'm aware of the cycle process so I won't be adding fish for awhile.

Thanks guys!

The Eclipse systems limit you as the hood doesnt allow for anything to hang on the tank. I have a Eclipse 3 hood that is on my 20 long. Filter is on the small side but it does have a bio-wheel. Basicly a Penguin built into a hood.
Why not try a 20 high or 20 long tank. To me 20 gal is as small as I would go.
Seen the tetratech filter/heater in the store but havent heard anything on how good they are. The AC and Penguin filters are the most popular.
My background is plastic cloated and is two sided. Medium blue on one side, black on the other. I use the black side. Taped on.

Here's my ten gallon inhabitants:
3-glowlight tetras
3-white clouds
3-rummy-nose tetras
1-flying fox
1-farlowella acus
1-clown pleco
1-spotted raphael catfish
1-spotted dojo loach
2-african dwarf frogs
1-pencilfish
16+ ghost shrimp
13+ trapddoor snails

Set up for over a year with no problems. I have a whisper 20-gal power filter flourescent bulbs lighting (2 watts per gallon), plants- ludwiga repens, giant hygro, and amazon sword plant.

I do not want to have anything larger than a 10g because I will be able to get a great deal on a 55g mid-next year. And that's only if things go well with the 10g - if they don't, I won't bother with the 55g.

So it's kind-of a trial run.

Any other opinions?

Lance M. said:
Here's my ten gallon inhabitants:
3-glowlight tetras
3-white clouds
3-rummy-nose tetras
1-flying fox
1-farlowella acus
1-clown pleco
1-spotted raphael catfish
1-spotted dojo loach
2-african dwarf frogs
1-pencilfish
16+ ghost shrimp
13+ trapddoor snails
8O
That is one overstocked tank. I'm sure you are keeping the water parameters in check, but the loach, catfish and pleco should reach at least 4" each. They should be given an aquarium with room to "stretch out."

[center:841b6d79c1] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, 99RedSi!! :n00b: [/center:841b6d79c1]

A ten gal tank is fine to get your feet wet :biglol: :wink:
Filter: Aquaclear 150 (or Mini?)
Heater: 50W
Substrate: Silica Play Sand (Southdown?)
Test Kits: AQ Master Kit or Hagen Master Kit
Background: Oceanvisions self-adhesive background
Dechlorinator: Amquel
Fish Food: Omega (One? - I can't remember the name from a few years back!)
All of this sounds fine. The sand name changes depending on the area. I bought mine at HD and it was called Target playsand.
I have a AC 150 on my 10 gal and I have the flow turned WAY down. I got the AC at an auction and it was listed as a mini--I wish it was! I also have a sand substrate. With the flow turned all the way down, it's okay, but you would be fine with a mini.
I vote for the Ebo Jager heater, even though it adds more "stuff" to the tank.
I also get tank backing and tape it on. I've never heard of the self-stick kind.

I have seven tanks, so take this with a grain of salt (if you don't like it)--why not try something new to go along with the sand substrate?? Since you will love your 10 gal tank and later get a 55 and then MTS will stike and you will end up buying a different tank as a nano....Try shell dwelling cichlids! I started with 4 Neolamprologus multifasciatus, the smallest cichlid out there at a max of 1 1/2". Just add feshwater snail shells-I buy "uninhabitited" shells for 25 cents at the LFS, boil them and add them to the tank. The shellies excavate the sand and move the shells to where they want them. They also have spawn fairly easily, so you will see fry from time to time.

No matter what fish you go with, you will want to sift the sand yourself, or use mts. I have snails in my three sand tanks and they do a good job with the sand.

I have to sift the sand even if I don't have live plants? If so, I have to get Malaysian Trumpet Snails to do it?

How do cory's do in sand?

Isn't overfiltration better than even standard? (AC 150 vs the Mini)

Thanks for the warm welcome!! :)

Isn't overfiltration better than even standard? (AC 150 vs the Mini)
Overfiltration is fine, but I find that the sand gets "blown" around my tank if the flow is too high.

I have to sift the sand even if I don't have live plants?
The reason for sifting the sand is you do not want anaerobic pockets to build up. You don't need mts to sift the sand, you can do it yourself with your fingers when you do your weekly water change.
How do cory's do in sand?
They will do fine, but they will not sift the sand to the degree needed.

Is it better to go with sand or try something like Tahitian Moon gravel (very fine gravel). Or maybe Eco-Complete?

Menagerie said:
That is one overstocked tank. I'm sure you are keeping the water parameters in check, but the loach, catfish and pleco should reach at least 4" each. They should be given an aquarium with room to "stretch out."

Ya I'm working on getting a bigger tank. The dojo is almost 7 inches long, the farlowella acus is 6 and a half inches long, the fox is about 4 inches long and groing rapidly, the spotted raphael catfish is 5 inches long, the clown pleco is 3 inches long, and everything else is adult size.

0 problems. Pretty good eh?

My goodness Lance! Are they setting on top of each other? That is somewhat amazing that you can keep them alive with no problems in that little ten gallon.

Ya I think it's pretty good. Surprisingly there's enough room. I'm hoping for a bigger tank this Christmas to stick em in there.

How's New Orleans? You get torn up by Ivan?

I agree with what's been posted above, and I have also heard wonderful things about the Oceanvisions backgrounds. Here's a link http://www.aquaricare.org/category.html?UCIDs=414801.

Be sure the sand is not aragonite or otherwise inert, unless you wish to buffer and harden the water. Sounds like you know what to do already, your choices look good to me!

Back
Top Bottom