New 2 your Aquatic World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is how I count the tank full rule.
1" per gallon= good, no extra filtration needed.
up to 1-1/2" per gallon= need extra filter and at least 30% water change each week, or more as needed. test water at least every 3 days.
NEVER GO ABOVE 1-1/2" per gallon. (my personal rule)
Now here is how I count my fish.
Don't measure the tail, only the main body. Most fish count as 1" per 1" ,long skinny fish like khuli loaches count as 1/2 the measurement. dirty fish like most catfish including plecos count as double the measurement. extra fat fish add a little bit to the measurement.

currently running 2 filters, a big one that came with the 55.. and a small one that came with the 10. How often should i change the filter catridges? Any ideas on a good temp range? How fast will these fish actually grow? I have been doing 35% water changes about every month or so.

I change the catrdridge about every other month and stagger the changes.
IE... if your filter has 2 cartridges change 1 after a month and the other the next month. I suggest you put the 10 gal filter back on your 10 gal and get one for at least a 30 gallon or better to supliment the one you have.
Common plecos will grow very fast, almost as you watch them. They would love a slice of zuchini every now and then as well.
I don't know how fast the balas grow but I have had a couple for about 2 months and they have grown about an inch.
PS never change the bio-filter (sponge or wheel) just lightly rinse it in used tank water when it starts to get clogged up.
PSS: I do partial water changes on all of my tanks every week. A python gravel vac makes it a very easy, clean and quick job.

the 55 filter is a double wide, (coincidentally i bought the tank from a lady who lived in a double wide) .. im gonna give the zuchini idea a shot, sounds like fun.. also was given advice about getting feeder fish for my tiger, terror and devil as a monthly treat. Not only amusing but he said it brings out there natural instinct as a true killer. Everyone else in the tank is 2 big and fast to swallow. I hold a accountability formation every morning (my mini schnauzer keeps watch during the day) and so far so good havent had any deaths in a while. Just hoping i can establish a balanced eco system here.

Back
Top Bottom