New 2 your Aquatic World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyrtleTheTurtle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heres the breakdown... 55 gallon tank, 2 turtles (map, red ear), Red Devil Cichlid, Green Terror, Tiger Oscar, Electric Yellow cichlid, 3 other cichlids (?), 2 bala sharks, catfish (4in), black molly, 2 gauromi's, tiger barb, 2 albino catfish, crayfish, 3 pleco's, 2 1/2 inch shark (not sure) ... I had a 10 gallon and went 4 the upgrade to 55 and transfered most of my fish over, bought some more b/c there was so much space. Had some tragic losses KIA, brackfish, beta, 5 tetras (victims of the oscar), black molly, 2 plecos ... i roll with natures rule, Survival of the Fittest....

Problem... Ive had the 55 up and running for about 2 months now. Everyone was doing great untill I think the electric yellow cichlid (Kobe) came down with the ever dreaded ick about a 2 weeks ago. I bought some parasite clear and applied it after I did a 35% water change. 3 days ago I took drastic measures and did a 90% water change, applied PH balance, Ammonia clear and parasite clear (thankfully no1 died). Last night I noticed the Red Devil Cichlid (Colonel Ace) had brown stuff on his fins, not real sure what the deal is here. Kobe still has the white spots on him and I think the albino cats might be coming down with the ick 2.

I am new to the aquarium game, spin me up ladies and gents.

All of those in a 55 gallon?

Might start getting rid of some fish and turtles.

survival of the fittest

dont worry boss man, they'll start pickin eachother off if theres trouble ... The CO Big Ace and the XO Myrtle the Turtle keep everyone in check .. I have an album on my page for pics, gonna post a few more 2nite

It does sound like you are overstocked.
Are the plecos commons? Common plecos will get over 17" so will the bala sharks.
I have kept mollies with cichlids in the past but they are much happier (read that healthier) now that they are in a peacefull community tank.

i had a tiger oscar that was a foot long that attacked everything including his reflection in the glass. was a riot. he would pick up rocks and spit them out at the other fish and his reflection.

PS: to add to what I was saying (got called away) overstocked means you will have a very hard time keeping the water chemistry correct which will make fish sick and die.
You mentioned adding amonia clear? Does that suggest you have an amonia problem?
What about nitrite and nitrate levels?
A tank that has run 2 months should, in normal conditions, be cycled and not have any amonia or nitrite but on overstocked tank can stall the cycle completely.

PS: to add to what I was saying (got called away) overstocked means you will have a very hard time keeping the water chemistry correct which will make fish sick and die.
You mentioned adding amonia clear? Does that suggest you have an amonia problem?
What about nitrite and nitrate levels?
A tank that has run 2 months should, in normal conditions, be cycled and not have any amonia or nitrite but on overstocked tank can stall the cycle completely.

I don't imagine the fish keeper will care.

Aren't turtles really messy?

2 turtles (map, red ear), Red Devil Cichlid, Green Terror, Tiger Oscar, Electric Yellow cichlid, 3 other cichlids (?), 2 bala sharks, catfish (4in), black molly, 2 gauromi's, tiger barb, 2 albino catfish, crayfish, 3 pleco's, 2 1/2 inch shark (not sure)

A 55 gallon tank is big enough for ONE tiger oscar, ONE Red Devil, Not even big enough for ONE pleco let alone 3, Not big enough for ONE bala let alone 2, I mean I could go on in on for how vastly over stocked you are. Even if you could keep them from killing each other the bio load they will produce would require such a ridiculous amount of filtration and water changes that you would soon hate fish. I hate to break it to you but you need to upgrade to like an 8ft tank to keep most of those fish. And better than let survival of the fittest take over you might want to consider giving away some of those fish. As for disease the stress of so many territorial predators could be lowering their immune systems. The bio-load of that many fish may causing trouble have you checked the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Sorry man good luck.

Obviously from what i gather here, i have myself a overpopulation situation. Now i can be stubborn but in the idea to save time i will submit. I am hoping to keep my turtles seeing they are the highlight (in my eyes). Ive had one of the turtles with my fish since i started out with the 10gal back in July, never really was an issue. I plan on getting a test kit this evening to check for ph, nitrate and ammonia levels. I guess i have a few options here, (my favorite) ride it out in the 55 and see if i can get the disease situation under control OR i can set up the 10 gallon again and do some segregating. But apparantly i dont really care and i should just let my messy turtles clean house.

Amonia and nitrite are the main 2 test to cause concern but nitrate at very high levels can stall the nitrogen cycle and cause other health problems. Partial water changes along with gravel vacs will help tremediously.
I believe you do care since you did post here to try to find an answer.
If you are going to the pet store to get a test kit you might as well put a quarter cup of water in a clean baggie and bring it with you. most pet stores that deal with aquarium supplies will gladly test your water free of charge.
Let us know how it comes out and we can make more specific recommendations.

I was given advice at the fish store that for every 1 inch of fish you should have one gallon of water? Yes they are territorial, but in my opinion a pecking order has been established and everyone seems to fall inline (except when i take my underwater sub for a quick cruise, then Ace (red devil) does a formal changeover ceremony and passes the reigns off to the temporary bossman). My biggest fish is the Red Devil at about 4 and a half inches. After that there is a farely drastic cut off, minus the 4 inch cat, the balas cant be more than an inch long, and yes they will grow but how fast? I guess as the fish grow I could by that 8 foot tank, hire a fish keeper and snorkle in it on the weekends.

Haha its up to you man. How long ago did you set up this tank? And ya I mean its up to you as far as how the fish fair but its possible you could get your money back or still sell them instead of letting them become expensive snacks? Just a thought.

Even with the 10 running, that isn't going to be enough. You have some fish that will outgrow your 55. Until the bioload comes down on the tank, you will continue to experience death/stress/disease.

Curious on your water parameters... also careful with adjusting pH. Unless it is extreme on either end, your fish can probably adjust. pH changing chemicals will stress the fish even more... it is better to have a pH a little outside the box as long as it is stable. If you were to drop the pH in your tank with chemicals, then do a water change with tap water, creating an instant pH jump in the tank, it will def stress the fish out.

Honestly, the less chemicals you use the better. The only mandatory chem is a good dechlorinator when you are doing water changes.

Did you cycle the tank before putting fish in? It also sounds like a combination of no cycling and excess bioload is playing havoc on your biological filter.

Ya the 1" rule of thumb works for your average fish that isn't territorial. Your fish may be ok for now but you have two types of fish that grow to nearly two feet long (half the length of your tank) and a couple types that reach about a ft long. Also it would seem none of your cichlids have reached sexual maturity. When that starts happening all **** will break loose!! lol. Choose to do as you wish but your in for an interesting ride. Keep us posted.

All sarcasm aside I appreciate the advice, I brought a sample with me 2day at work and plan on making the petstore pitstop on the way home. I will keep everyone posted on the chemical levels tomorrow morning. I will also post a few pictures on my page.

Big al mac's

I have a spotted puffer that we need to add to your collection. Survival of the fittest BABEEEEEEEE.

I was given advice at the fish store that for every 1 inch of fish you should have one gallon of water?

Be a little skeptical of any advice you get at a LFS. Most are trying to sell, sell, sell. A lot of the people working there are not qualified or competent enough to give advice.

The 1" rule is a common one, but not gospel by any means, especially when you start talking about large fish, and predator/territorial fish. It is probably good for neons and guppies, but beyond that...

Back
Top Bottom