New Angelfish pics - clamped tail fin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I couldn't resist two days ago, and bought a 1" angel. 8) He's (dunno why I'm using 'he') mainly white, with two black stripes (on his left side alone, hence his soon-to-be name Lefty :p) and a peach spot on one cheek that has only shown since he's been in my tank. Not quite sure what 'color group' he'd fit into ; guesses?

I acclimated him, gently, and even got ahold of some brine shrimp (angel's main feed @ the lfs I bought him from) to keep him feeding.

The lights have been out in the tank for 36 hours now and will be out through tomorrow and I was just curious how long it may be until he's swimming happily around in the tank. . . ? I remember seeing 'up to a week or more' somewhere. . .

So far, he's been hidin out by the castle and occasionally popping out for looks around and I'm excited to see him out and about more.

Pics asap. :)

I think he might even come swimming out more if you turn the lights on! No need to keep 'em off for that long IMO.
Also, try to make him used to flake food. Less costly then brine shrimp. But a good varied diet is always the key to healthy fish :wink:
Looking forward to see pics!

What he said!

Turn on the lights!!!!
As long as you properly acclimated him upon adding him to the tank, there really isn't a need to do anything different.
Also, you may want to think about adding a second as a tank-mate but you'll have to watch as they get bigger.....a 30 long is not ideal for Angels (tall is better).

I'll turn the lights on for 'im as soon as I get home, then. . . I just wanted to give 'im as little stress as possible, and I figured less light would let him be sneaky in his explorations. . .

I'm pretty set on just having the one angel; my plan is to get some gourami as well, and have been wondering if maybe dwarves might not 'fit' better in a 30 long w/ an angel. . . any experience w/ dwarf gourami and angels?

Haven't seen that question asked yet. . . lemme research.

Hrm, most comp. charts say all gourami and angels get along well - bleh. Thanks for nothing, internet. :lol:

Does an angel NEED other angels to be happy? I never had the impression that they were schooly-type fish. Hrmph.

im gonna keep an eye on this because i really want an angel fish or two... and would like to get as much experienced info as possible on them.

I was just wondering about a pwc - I know it's time and was going to do it tonight, but am worried about stressing the new addition. Any suggestions/ideas?

Aah, just go ahead and do it........he'll be fine! Angels IME are pretty hardy fish. If your otos can take it, I'm sure your angel can as well. If it's a healthy angel, then no particular problems should arise. :wink:

Hmmm. You mean your angelfish has not completely taken over the tank yet???
but seriously, if you acclimate fish with low light, just an hour to two, or one night at most for angelfish. That is assuming you are adding an angelfish to a tank with no other angelfish. I only use lights out when there is a problem, and the only time I ever had to do that was when I added angels to a tank that already had angels. Then the lights out trick didn't work, and I lost a number of angels to agression despite numerous interventions. The lesson: buy all your angels at once, of the same size.

Go ahead and do whatever you normally do to the tank, water change, vaccuum, clean glass, the angel will be fine.

Well, I ended up putting off the pwc; last night was just too hectic for me to make time.

I only turned out the lights for a bit to lessen the stress of bringing 'im into the tank - I'm a little paranoid after that gourami not lasting 4 days. :|

Regardless, I got an ok pic of him - finally figuring out the settings for my digi-cam to get decent pics! - although it's quite blurry @ any larger of a size than this :

14767674_0c66cd9453_o.jpg

So what 'color' would you call this? Koi/Marble? I just thought he was cute. :D

Cam (Kodak CX7525 Easyshare) settings :

Flash : OFF
Exposure Adjust : none
'Exposure Time/Shutter Speed' : .7 secs
White Balance : Auto

More light in my tank will make taking pics so much easier. :x

As I'm considering what to do with my suddenly thrown to the wind livestock plan, I'm wondering about multiple angels. . .

Will he be ok solo? If not, how can you get angels NOT to breed, assuming I don't get two males. . . ? ;p

The last thing I want to do is to have to deal with two aggressive angels goin' after my wimpy rummies etc. . .

Lefty update:

(warning; the monitor here @ my home pc needs to be replaced, so forgive the possible horribly-off contrast)

He posed for some pics tonight; that, with my new settings knowledge, helped me get the following :

14848631_58b4f7d8c1.jpg

Nice shot of both sides. :D

14848633_915f399c1f.jpg

The way his tail is coming to a point is kinda weirding me out; can't find any good pics online (of angels this young) online for comparison. Anyone help me out on that?

It does not look normal.. the tail fin that is.. unless the fin is just clamped for some reason..
angel fish sometimes have birth abnormalities.. as long as it doesnt hamper its ability to get good thrust through the water I wouldnt worry about it.. If it stays that way try not to go out of your way to get it a mate to spawn with though....
Nice fish by the way.. great pictures!
"Aquarium Advice Freak" in 18 days! :invasion:

in your previous picture the angel has an open tail in a sort of rectangle shape. In these pictures it definitly has a pointy tail triangle shape just to let you know. I think it is clamped

Good point, Blu - it didn't look like that in the first pic. It's only the tail fin for sure, though : so do I worry yet? :|

It could be that he has not settled in. It could be stress, or a symptom of a disease. Maybe add some aquarium salt

:bump:

Don't see any other symptoms; eyes look good, no 'salt' looking skin. . . pec fin tip looks like a tiny bit of a tear, maybe?

He's out and about, and eating, so should I worry yet?

IMO, the fins are clamped/abnormal in all the pics. Just a quick question cJw...were the fins like this when you got him? If not, then what has been stated about getting used to the new environment sounds as good as any other reason.

Usually, some fish will clamp their fins when nervous or stressed. Apparently, he is getting used to the tank and the problem will correct itself.

I saw no problem with any of his fins when I bought him; you saw problems in the first pic? (as much as you could see in it's blurriness. . . )

If I'd known stress could/would cause symptoms like this, I may not have even posted about it. It's good to know it could be nothing but that. :)

Thanks for the info, J. :D

Update -

I did a pwc this morning, and added a little salt (the recommended 1 tbsp/5 gallons) just b/c I figured it couldn't help - also raised the temp a little, just for giggles, and it appears his tail fin is unclamping now!

I'm not saying the salt/temp raise did anything at all, but the fact remains his tail fin is looking better already. :D

Woot ! I was beginning to worry. :phew!:

Back
Top Bottom