New aquarium -- does this look like ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I recently started my 5 gallon aquarium (having cycled it for 2+ weeks) and added 2 fish: a mosaic guppy & a red eye tetra. They were pretty stressed with the move from store to aquarium, I think, & I'm wondering if my guppy has ich. I've read a bit about it & tried to look at pictures, but I can't tell if what I'm seeing is really ich or just a pigmentation on the guppy.

Please see the picture I've included below. If I can get some feedback on what more experienced fish owners think, I'd appreciate it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BUW176uB60wsT0ESAhhHWZlMQDmIZaFxeg/view?usp=sharing

I looked at your picture and it is inconclusive from what I can tell. Do you see white spots on the fish? Are they trying to rub their sides against decorations?

I looked at your picture and it is inconclusive from what I can tell. Do you see white spots on the fish? Are they trying to rub their sides against decorations?

I don't see white spots--just that white strip on the guppy's back.The guppy doesn't seem to be rubbing up against anything. It darts here and there among the plants, sometimes floats right on the bottom on top of the gravel (but I'll see it swimming up & around later), but nothing that looks like rubbing an itch.

Ich looks like tiny salt granules attached to the fish. It's usually pretty easy to spot. Some guppies have myriad colors and some unusual color patterns, but it shouldn't have changed color from when you purchased it. Your tetra will be stressed being the only fish of it's kind in the tank. Tetras are schooling fish.

Ich looks like tiny salt granules attached to the fish. It's usually pretty easy to spot. Some guppies have myriad colors and some unusual color patterns, but it shouldn't have changed color from when you purchased it. Your tetra will be stressed being the only fish of it's kind in the tank. Tetras are schooling fish.

Okay, thanks.

While this white patch on the guppy doesn't look like salt granules (it's more solid, like a patch), I don't remember seeing it when I first purchased my guppy -- the fact that it caught my eye in the first place makes me suspicious that it's something, as opposed to a colour variation. But it's not fluffy (like fungus), and it's not near the gills or anything ...

If I'm monitoring for ich and I don't see a spread of white spots over the fish in a matter of days, does that indicate it's not ich?

Thanks so much for all the advice! I really appreciate it!

Okay, thanks.

While this white patch on the guppy doesn't look like salt granules (it's more solid, like a patch), I don't remember seeing it when I first purchased my guppy -- the fact that it caught my eye in the first place makes me suspicious that it's something, as opposed to a colour variation. But it's not fluffy (like fungus), and it's not near the gills or anything ...

Thanks so much for all the advice! I really appreciate it!

sounds like tetrahyemena, Neaon tetra diseaase, tho i am merely speculating as i have not seen any pictures, nor does F. columnaris always present in "fluffy" patches, sometimes they are simply under the skin white lesions, like tetrahyemena.
either way i would treat or euthanize the fish quickly, body lesions are not a good sign to a beginner.
Let me see a pic or video?
NTD is a parasite that will wipe you clean, leaving one fish to carry them on to the next batch of fish to destroy.
Columanris will kill every one of your fish as well.
Columnaris https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...&ei=ywD8Vqn1GYrteoOXohA#imgrc=rBDRWBNwoGbPXM:

The only diffrence is columnaris is white and spreading fungus, NTD is a brownish leasion

sounds like tetrahyemena, Neaon tetra diseaase, tho i am merely speculating as i have not seen any pictures, nor does F. columnaris always present in "fluffy" patches, sometimes they are simply under the skin white lesions, like tetrahyemena.
either way i would treat or euthanize the fish quickly, body lesions are not a good sign to a beginner.
Let me see a pic or video?
NTD is a parasite that will wipe you clean, leaving one fish to carry them on to the next batch of fish to destroy.
Columanris will kill every one of your fish as well.
Columnaris https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...&ei=ywD8Vqn1GYrteoOXohA#imgrc=rBDRWBNwoGbPXM:

The only diffrence is columnaris is white and spreading fungus, NTD is a brownish leasion

Thanks so much for the information! Here is a clearer (I hope) picture of what I'm seeing on my guppy:

open
This is only appearing on the guppy. The tetra seems fine.

How was you tank cycled? 2 weeks isn't long enough unless you seeded your filter with material from a mature tank.

Back
Top Bottom