New Bullies in town... then out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tank got over its minor little infestation and so I decided it was time to get some new fish. So I decided on some cichlids that were already paired off, convicts and some others that are called "firebellies" but I don't know the exact names. Some friends of mine had them and they are fun(make that hilarious, they have been building a nest today right in the front left corner of my tank and I keep catching myself staring) to watch and prolific breeders. I also got 3 chinese algae eaters to get some maintenance going as well as maybe clear out a few fry now and then....

Well, I was cleaning my tank today and what should I come across? One of my two favorite fish, both kuhli loaches, is nearly torn to shreds. I have had CAE before with no problems but it doesn't seem the case this time. The other 2 kuhlis are fine. Oddly, the other two are striped and the beat up one is black. Either it tried to stand its ground against the larger CAEs or it has just been targeted by them. I decided to move it to my guppy tank with some extra cover and no predatory fish. If anyone has every tried to catch kuhli loaches in a heavily decorated tank you can understand how odd it was for me to easily brisk the fish into the net with absolutely no fighting or darting.

Because he's black it's easy to see the bite marks that look like they have been made by more of a sucker fish mouth. His entire underbelly is also torn up pretty good. He's pretty lethargic and as soon as I acclimated him to the water and set him in he just kind of let himself land and slowly made for the cover of a java fern. It was so odd when I netted him because there was absolutely no movement once he was in water (I netted and placed the net open in a large tubaware dish filled with tank water so he wasn't just sitting in the big tank). Prodded the net a little but made no escape attempts. Hopefully Kohli (his name) will be there in the morning, alive. His first night without Kuhli (my other favorite fish. I know, original names...) wrapped up with him. No matter how many kuhli loaches I get those two are always entwined when sitting still and travel the tank together. So I may be moving the other kuhlis in the tank for some companionship.

I called the fish store today though and told them what was happening and they are letting me take the fish back no problem even though it is outside the 2 day guarantee. So, though my tank looks beautiful thanks to the CAEs, it is time they went back.

I hope that Koli gets better. I hate having a fish beat up by another and feeling like there is nothing that you can do about it but wait it out.

I have never had CAEs or any kind of cichlid. But I'm wondering if the cichlids beat up the loach, since they were building a nest and most fish do become very territorial when breeding. I have read about a pair of fish building a nest and all the other fish are at the opposite end of tank due to the aggression of the breeding pair.

Where they are building the nest the kuhlis never went. They haven't started chasing anything away from it yet. I actually just saw one of the convicts go straight into the nest and they didn't bother chasing it away. But where the kuhlis usually "hang out" was overtaken by one of the CAEs. T

Anyways, found him dead this morning.

Back
Top Bottom