New disease... or just getting picked on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I came home to my orginal flame dwarf gourami being harrased by the other. The white spots he orginally had are gone, but now it looks like an open sore on his mouth. Today is the 6th day of Melafix/Pimafix treatment (and salt is in the water).

Here are the best pics i could get. Is it possible he isnt sick at all, and just getting harrased to death by the other gourami?

You can barely see the open wound (what looks like it anyway) just underneath the white spec by his mouth.

All the other fish (other FDG and 6 zebra danios) show so symptoms at all and are swimming and eating just fine.

Attachments

• image024.jpg
    image024.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 39
I did a bit more research, and I did read on another site that 2 males (which is what i have):

f you get two or three males in a tank they will usually fight....not as vicously as bettas, but bad enough to stress each other ....sometimes to death.

I'm wondering if this is the situation... just an added thought

Awww erik I'm so sorry, is there any way you can separate them to make sure it isn't fighting? A different tank or a divider for the tank?

sadly i dont have another tank nor anything to divide the tank.

I just dont know what else it could be.. Jc suggested fighting to start, and im guessing thats the problem. I do remember him picking on him when i first put him in, but i just blew it off as playful, as the lfs said they'd be fine together.

the LFS will take him back. So I think ill do that, and since ive done just about a week of treatments, ill do a 25% WC tonight and stop medicating and stop putting in salt.. and see how the other one does. So far he looks fine.

as the lfs said they'd be fine together
img_505167_0_b7a7d62181898ab702e6cc4dc9b987d2.gif
I also think they are fighting.

I pulled him out and put him into a plastic container with tank water to get a nice, good look at him.

The 'spots' i thought i saw are not there. I wonder if it was light or if it was just food or something.

The 'discoloration' isnt very bad at all.

He looks great... aside from that wound on his mouth.

I'll probably take him back to the LFS as I cant have him fighting, and i defentally cant euthinize him.

I took the beat up one back to the lfs. I hope all goes okay with him. :)

Anyway, my tank seems to be doing fine. I did a 25% WC to clean out some of the salt and the melafix/pimafix ive used.

Thanks again everyone :)

Glad to hear that the tank is doing fine, sorry to hear that the gourami's weren't compatible. That is always hard. If you add carbon back into the filter it will clean out the meds.

DANG IT! I was at Petco today but I totally forgot about getting the carbon! Dang.

Oh well, I will pick some up tomorrow after work. :) Thanks for the reminder.

Everyone is doing fine today.

Back
Top Bottom