New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanis1993

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just replaced the ten gallon filter on my 20 gallon tank with an aquatech 20-40 and now a few of my bettas have fin rot? My tank is foggy So I've been doing daily water changes of 1gallons trying to get it to clear up but to no avail and now my bettas have fin rot :'( what am I doing wrong?

Did you transfer any of the filter media when you changed it? If not, you are probably having a mini cycle or something like that.
Try changing more than one gallon of water a day, I would do 25-50% every day.
Also, are you sure it's fin rot and not the bettas getting their fins stuck in the filter intake?

Hmm you're right I didn't use any of the old media :( now that you mention it it's only my large betta that has the "fin rot" my other two betta females and other fish don't have it. I'll check back with you again later this week to see if it gets worse or better :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Do not let the water be, you need to keep the ammonia and nitrites at 0, or those fins will never heal. Changing the water does not kill most of the good bacteria, since most live in the filter media, substrate and decorations.

Back
Top Bottom