New fish are slowing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lyretail molly is almost dead :( but there is still hope. Off to do a water change using a bucket after i think i just refractured my elbow

did another water change, fish perked up a little bit, i know longer think my lyretail is guaranteed to dye within a couple hours. but they are still not doing great. Its creepy watching my dannios, they all have there mouth at the top gulping air and havnt really moved all day

Came over to check out what's going on with your tank. If they are gasping for air it sounds like they need air. Try dropping a bubbler in there. Does your filter make visible bubbles in the water? Mine didn't at first so I adjusted it until it did. This was accomplished by lowering the water level in my tank by 1/2 an inch, so the water pouring out of my filter has room to make a nice splash. Ta da, bubbles!

It does make visible bubbles but I dont think that was the problem. I have know idea what happened, maybe it was the oxygen as aftwer the last PWC the water was slightly lower, or maybe it was the PWC itself. but last night the few hours i was up after doing it they where showing no signs of improvement. But I am very pleased to announce that today i woke up to a tank of mostly happy fish. my plattys are chasing eachother around and my danios have resumed normal activity! My balloon molly somehow got itself stuck in a plant though and it was barely breathing and i thought it was dead, but i caught it fast enough and got it out and now it has resumed its crazy never ending swimming all over the tank. I am still a little bit concerned about my lyretail, it looks a little better now but he was looking rough. Going off of his improvement though i think he has a pretty good chance!

tornadonick said:
It does make visible bubbles but I dont think that was the problem. I have know idea what happened, maybe it was the oxygen as aftwer the last PWC the water was slightly lower, or maybe it was the PWC itself. but last night the few hours i was up after doing it they where showing no signs of improvement. But I am very pleased to announce that today i woke up to a tank of mostly happy fish. my plattys are chasing eachother around and my danios have resumed normal activity! My balloon molly somehow got itself stuck in a plant though and it was barely breathing and i thought it was dead, but i caught it fast enough and got it out and now it has resumed its crazy never ending swimming all over the tank. I am still a little bit concerned about my lyretail, it looks a little better now but he was looking rough. Going off of his improvement though i think he has a pretty good chance!

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Keep those daily/2 day PWC's going and test the water everyday. Even if the fish look fine, by testing everyday you can spot a spike and deal with it before the fish show signs of ammo/n02 poisoning. Once they're better and the tanks are fully cycled, once a week should be fine.

Everytime you change water, you take out c02 (and other stuff too) and add 02, that's the reason they perk up. One thing I do is leave a bit of water out of my tank since I prefer a glass top. The "space" I leave helps with gas exchange/off gassing and my filters stir the water more, which only helps.

thank you, even if my ammo gos downs to 0 i am going to continue the water changes as i dont really have a good way of testing n02, right now i do have a a little over a half inch between the top and filter, Hopefully they at least stay better than they where last night.

I have been keeping up on the water changes, My fish have all perked up and everyone is doing fine now :D. the only thing i can say is that my mollys and platties are still much less active then at first. The danios are fine. with the new heater in i have been keeping it at about 76 degrees. Do you think that they will fully pull out of it? I hope i didn't cause any permanent damage. still a little confused as to what actually happened.

tornadonick said:
I have been keeping up on the water changes, My fish have all perked up and everyone is doing fine now :D. the only thing i can say is that my mollys and platties are still much less active then at first. The danios are fine. with the new heater in i have been keeping it at about 76 degrees. Do you think that they will fully pull out of it? I hope i didn't cause any permanent damage. still a little confused as to what actually happened.

Danios are pretty hardy (mine anyway) and the others may just take time to recover. A full test kit is going to be a valuable tool to have on hand. I don't know what your fish need, but higher temps lower 02 in the water.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Danios are pretty hardy (mine anyway) and the others may just take time to recover. A full test kit is going to be a valuable tool to have on hand. I don't know what your fish need, but higher temps lower 02 in the water.

Good luck!

thanks! looks like i will be able to get a kit on wednesday

+1 with durvish..your tank just started cycling. There are no good bacteria present yet and so that is why your fish are acting slow. The nitrogen cycle will normally take 5-6 weeks or less if you have a substrate, filter media, or some decorations that came from an established tank as suggested above.

What you can really do right now is to do PWC once you see the levels of ammonia and nitrite more than 0.25ppm. Higher level than that will be detrimental to your fishes. Here is the link to the step by step of cycling with fish: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Edit: Sorry, I didn't know you have more than 1 page here...just saw it. You can ignore my post..I didn't know how to delete my post. LOL...sorry again.

+1 with durvish..your tank just started cycling. There are no good bacteria present yet and so that is why your fish are acting slow. The nitrogen cycle will normally take 5-6 weeks or less if you have a substrate, filter media, or some decorations that came from an established tank as suggested above.

What you can really do right now is to do PWC once you see the levels of ammonia and nitrite more than 0.25ppm. Higher level than that will be detrimental to your fishes. Here is the link to the step by step of cycling with fish: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Edit: Sorry, I didn't know you have more than 1 page here...just saw it. You can ignore my post..I didn't know how to delete my post. LOL...sorry again.

lol np! you are just trying to help!

the problems continue. my fish are now bback to full activity although i did miss the change last night(hate migraines). Now my mickey mouse platty is losing its color. she was a nice light orange and now she looks more like a light yellow in some spots and the nice black micky mouse pattern is grey. She wasn't eating for a couple days and has resumed that and is otherwise healthy. Is it just because she wasnt eating or is there something else going on i should be worried about?

Just keep up the water changes, and see what happens. They should go back to normal color in a few days.

Fish are fine and i got myself an api test kit today. my results are as following
(drum role) du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du
ph: Wow! turns out my ph is 8.2
ammonia: .5
nitrites: 0 and this tube decided to leak when i shook it
nitrates: 0
this is a very sad day :( really wasnt expecting ph to be that high

tornadonick said:
Fish are fine and i got myself an api test kit today. my results are as following
(drum role) du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du
ph: Wow! turns out my ph is 8.2
ammonia: .5
nitrites: 0 and this tube decided to leak when i shook it
nitrates: 0
this is a very sad day :( really wasnt expecting ph to be that high

Yeah pH is kinda high, not sure what affect that'll have on fish. Test the tap where you get your water (lukewarm). Fill clean container with water, don't add anything, let set for 24hrs and run the pH test (I did all tests to see tap baseline).

When you say "shook" the n02 bottle. Do you mean the 30 second shake? You need to do that for the #2 n03 (nitrAte) bottle test. Your n02 numbers are ok, but you need to redo the n03 test because it's important for correct results.

Back
Top Bottom