New fish are slowing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tornadonick

Aquarium Advice Freak
recently i got my 29g set up, a couple days ago I put in a couple plattys and mollys. today I have been watching them and they seem a lot slower than usual, my redwag platty is haning out at the bottom not doing much, and my balloon molly keeps haning out at the top apparantly gulping up air? I have tested and my results where
0 amonia
0 nitrites
about 3 nitrates
PH, i am a noob and cant remember what it was but i know that was normal. what could be doing this? am i over reacting?

Did you keep an air pump?! If not keep it. I think so that yourballoon molly needs some oxygen. Thatz why it is gulping at the top. Anyways i am a newbie only. It is better that you consult others too.

I do have one, but not installed yet(yet another thing i cant find around here), I will look for it and try to get it in as soon as possible, but the other ones are acting a little off too, not real bad but I want to get this taken care of!

I cycled my tank for about a week, but i also stole some water from my sister, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates seem fine, although nitrates apear to be smaller then most people report

Sorry chief but it takes longer than a week to cycle a tank and unfortunately there is almost no bacteria in the water. It is mainly in the filter media. Since you already have fish you need to read up on cycling a tank with fish. And you need to immediately do a pwc.

Assuming that it is that, i do not have enough room in my sisters tank for them, what would I do to get them out? how can i try to fix this?

To start off with your going to have to do partial water changes everyday to keep the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels down. Make sure to use a buffer like "Prime" when doing the pwc's. You absolutely must read up on the nitrogen cycle and cycling with fish, I don't have the link for you for that -- hopefully someone else will pop in and post it -- you can just as easily Google it. Also if your sister has had her tank running for awhile then go grab a handful of substrate from her tank and put it in some CLEAN pantyhose or a media bag and drop it in your tank. It will have good bacteria in it and will help speed up the cycle. And last but not least -- make sure you are testing with the liquid kits not the test strips, the test strips and commonly known to be way off.

Thank you for your information, I knew it took longer(despite LFS saying 24 hours) but thought at the time that it was in the water so taking some of my sisters water would do it. I will also mention that i am using used gravel, even though it has been a few years. I also still have the (blue filter things, what ever they are called) from my old filter, the kind with the substrate attached to it. I wasnt using it because it didnt fit in this one. Would rigging that in there somhow help?

I did a near 50% water change today, my balloon molly seams better but now my sailfin molly was up gasping air alot. I rechecked my ammonia and it looks like it's somewhere between 0-.25(this chart is a pain in the @#!@$ to read. On the nitrites and nitrates, i have a dip testing kit that i want to upgrade as soon as i can, but that seams normal on there.

here is possibly a very stupid, extremely absurd question. do these bacteria live on plants, there is a live plant(some kind of sword) living in my sisters tank that is almost dead considering we got it knowing nothing about them. could i drop a leaf in my filter and use that to seed it?

I should mention that it is not dead yet, still green and i am going to be looking into trying to save it, although i have more important things to worry about. Is this just going to have an inverse affect and add to the ammonia levels?

Bud the best thing you could do is get a handful of her gravel and put it in your tank. Tomorrow get a real testing kit and start doing as many water changes as it take to keep your fish healthy as your tank cycles.

Back
Top Bottom