new fish, both have faults

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
so finally my new tank is cycled, took 5 weeks but i believe the fishless cycle is awsome, what a buzz it is when you see it all coming together. Anyway i added the fish from my old to new tank and they seem fine, so the next day i went and bought a dwarf gouramis, and an orange spotted plec, i didnt see this in the shop but as i got them home i noticed the plec had a white patch next to his right fin, its a bout the size of the 0 on your keyboard, it looks like a wound that has healed up, there is no redness, also the gouramis has a tiny hole in his tail fin, much like a pin hole, so before i added both fish to the tank i placed them in my old tank which is still set up, the tank has been set up for two years and is regulary cleaned, ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrate is 10, both fish seem to be fine, they are swimming round fine, both eating and active, i have been treating them with melafix for two days, any ideas what they could be? hope you can help me

Good work quarantining the new fish. The white patch on the pleco worries me more than the hole in the gourami fin, but if it's just a scar, no big deal. I have a raphael cat that's had a quarter inch diameter hole in his dorsal fin as long as I've had him (16 years). Doesn't seem to bother him. I'd keep doing what you're doing for about two weeks. If the fish show no signs of disease, I think you're good to go.

Man, you could've totally sped up your cycle with using established substrate and media, but that's another topic. If you can post some pics I would. Does any of the ailments look like fin rot?

i did seed the new tank with filter squeezing and gravel, not sure if i did it enough though, the gouramis tail seems fine apart from the hole, what could it be? i have seen fin rot before and it aint pretty. what would a scar on a pleco look like? should i add any salt? thanks for the replies

You could try using a little salt, raising the temp a touch just to see what happens. The pleco I wouldn't worry about too much if its a scar because they can beat themselves up pretty bad. Mine will freak out when I turn the light on sometimes and smash into all the rocks just to hide (spaz)

You could try using a little salt, raising the temp a touch just to see what happens. The pleco I wouldn't worry about too much if its a scar because they can beat themselves up pretty bad. Mine will freak out when I turn the light on sometimes and smash into all the rocks just to hide (spaz)

Just wanted to say, that since plecos don't have scales, they don't like salt too much. Although, I'm not sure to what extent they can handle it.

I don't know much about salt applications just have heard they work in certain situation. Nice catch A1 and shame on me!

ok well I did some researching and I read they can handle some salt. Although they recommend mixing it into a solution with water in a separate container instead of just putting the salt in the tank and use about half the dosage of salt. HTH

thanks guys, will scar tissue look white? any ideas about the hole in the gouramis tail,will it heal or will it be fine?

I thought id seen something that had allowed for that same think. I think you have to use regular table salt too, not sea or kosher (id check on that though)

Scar tissue is white, but is it a fuzzy white like almost white mold? Pleco's are supceptable to things like that.

Back
Top Bottom