New fish died on last day of quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had some bandit cories and harlequin rasboras in a QT for two weeks. Today is the last day of the 2nd week and 1 bandit Cory died.

I noticed the bandit hadn't eaten for about a week and it was getting pretty skinny. Last night it's eyes were pretty sunken and I figured it would probably pass today. It was never really active and since I got them it was a loner for the most part.

Question: Do I assume the Cory was just unhealthy/poor stock to begin with? Or should I continue to quarantine the rest for another week to be on the safe side?

All other fish haven't shown signs of illness or lethargy. All eating well and I even managed to give them some bellies... Oops lol.

Hoping to get some thoughts on this tonight. Was setup to drip acclimate them all into the display already when I found the dead bandit.

Sorry you lost one. Most suggest QTing for 4-6 wks because some illnesses take time to show up. Not knowing why the one died, I'd continue to QT.

I agree I'd prolong the quarantine too just to be safe.

It's good you trust your lfs. I think sometimes lfs get a bad rap. Fish are like people sometimes you just get sick. Lol! Keep us updated on how it goes :)

I got lucky another member here recommended them. I guess they're really not "local" at 40 mins away but it's worth the drive lol. The last one I trusted closed up shop about 10 years ago which was sad since I had been going there when I was a kid.

40 mins isn't so bad I drive almost 2 hours to one of the breeders I trust.

Not much choice in the matter when you live in the middle of no where ;-) lol! Keep us updated on the quarantine. Hopefully it was just one that was weak :)

Been another week and everyone else is still looking good and eating well.

Safe to add them?
If everyone looks good and you've no issues at all I'd think it be all right to add them in now. It's been a week since the one and only showed signs and passed right? And a total of two weeks in qt? Or has it been three?

Been three weeks. And yeah just the one stopped eating and died. I was going to add them today but ran out if time.

I'm never over stocking a QT again lol. The multiple daily WCs are a pain!

When I get groups of fish. I qt them all together, sometimes you get one that's sick and you have to wait a little longer is all. IMO it's better to possibly lose new fish than to lose your entire community of fish. (Not that losing any fish is good) Keep us updated as to how they're settling in :)

So far so good. Saw everyone settling in well and eating this morning. I'm expecting to be missing a few rasboras by the end of the week... they really like schooling around my angel, sigh haha.

On a side note, the bandit cories I thought I bought were actually mislabeled pandas. Works for me since that was the reason I bought the bandits, to match my single last panda cory. Score lol. Also pretty cool to see tiny/young cories sharing a wafer with an amano shrimp larger than itself, haha.

So far so good. Saw everyone settling in well and eating this morning. I'm expecting to be missing a few rasboras by the end of the week... they really like schooling around my angel, sigh haha.

On a side note, the bandit cories I thought I bought were actually mislabeled pandas. Works for me since that was the reason I bought the bandits, to match my single last panda cory. Score lol. Also pretty cool to see tiny/young cories sharing a wafer with an amano shrimp larger than itself, haha.

Good to hear!! Tell your Angel they're "friends not food" lol! I love my cories I have pandas too! Bonus score on them working out to be the same! Sounds like everything is working out great!

After the first day the angel has been ignoring the rasboras now. She did get a good grab on two of them though and they got some minor fin damage, a little tearing and some bumps. You'd think it would have taught them a lesson but nope haha. I'm just happy the angel doesn't even notice them anymore... Even if they seemingly follow her around like she's a giant rasbora lol

Back
Top Bottom