New fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MATESkid2016

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Two days ago I added some new fish to my 10 gallon freshwater and this morning I woke up to 1 neon tetra stuck to the filter intake and 1 otocinclus struggling to survive (he moves when I go near him but is clearly suffering...poor little guy :( ) The first thing I did was check my water parameters. I have a ~7.6 pH, 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate. All seem to be normal levels... Am I missing something? Was it just the stress of a new environment? Please give me your opinions.

Did you acclimate them to the new tank water? What store did you pick them up from? How long where they in the carrying bag?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I did acclimate them to the tank water the other fish seem to be doing fine. I got them at Sharkeys Aquarium Store in Point Pleasant, NJ. And they were in the bag for probably 10-15 minutes before I started acclimating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The aquarium shop is the cleanest store I've ever been inside I highly recommend it

Some stock just doesn't make it, otos and neons seem to be in the top 10 of 48hr fails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so it's nothing I did wrong right? Just that the fish don't cope with change better than others?

sounds like it was not your fault :) I had a cory cat die for a similar reason recently.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom