New fish has ick?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have test strips but my rummy nose tetra are extra sensitive to water changes and they're completely fine

Yep! Her color is great just a small spot left. I feel like it's just like a "scab" on a person now and will come off with time I'm still using melafix to be safe I'll eventually switch to every other day or half the dose each day

Now she's acting funny... Sitting in one spot at the top of the water at an angle but then she was fine and then did it again... I dunno maybe a water change would help?

Yes, try a water change - could be getting too much with the meds for the fish. How many days of dosing have you done now and was it at full strength dosing? A pwc will still leave some in there and I've found that a half dose of melafix and pimafix can still make a difference (when they do work).

Edit - almost forgot. Temp match the change water. Colder water could cause a fungus to get started.

Yes, try a water change - could be getting too much with the meds for the fish. How many days of dosing have you done now and was it at full strength dosing? A pwc will still leave some in there and I've found that a half dose of melafix and pimafix can still make a difference (when they do work).

Edit - almost forgot. Temp match the change water. Colder water could cause a fungus to get started.

Found her like this this morning asked a guy what to do at work (I work at a pet store) I was going to quarantine her and treat with copper as a last try but she didn't last till I made it home?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405989510.893539.jpg

I'm going to stop treating and add water my tank is a little low but not do a big change because I want to get another one cause her mate seems so sad.

No deffinatly not I was doing a 40 gallon dose and the tank is 55. And I think if it was that it would've gotten some of the other fish too

He has columnar is, the point here is to get him out of there before it spreads to other fish and wipes out your tank, only expensive strong antibiotics would work is it worth that money for this catfish? Cories don't like salt, and you'd be looking at at least 12.99 for maracyn-2 in a hospital tank/tub if you want to save him. Me personally I would cull him. I suppose it could just be fungus, or BOTH most likely, they are impossible to see columnaris because it grows on gills and eats the fish skin causing lesions like this, I'm sure it's quite unpleasant to be slowly eaten from the inside and die from bacteria, so best guess would be to act now and save him or put him down now, just at least get him out of there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He has columnar is, the point here is to get him out of there before it spreads to other fish and wipes out your tank, only expensive strong antibiotics would work is it worth that money for this catfish? Cories don't like salt, and you'd be looking at at least 12.99 for maracyn-2 in a hospital tank/tub if you want to save him. Me personally I would cull him. I suppose it could just be fungus, or BOTH most likely, they are impossible to see columnaris because it grows on gills and eats the fish skin causing lesions like this, I'm sure it's quite unpleasant to be slowly eaten from the inside and die from bacteria, so best guess would be to act now and save him or put him down now, just at least get him out of there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

She was a German blue ram Cichlid and died yesterday

The replacement female got the same thing I noticed it this morning. I put her in a hospital tank and I'm treating with copper sulfate I think the female is getting stressed out from being chased by the male so I got another female and hopefully that'll help.

The replacement female got the same thing I noticed it this morning. I put her in a hospital tank and I'm treating with copper sulfate I think the female is getting stressed out from being chased by the male so I got another female and hopefully that'll help.

Ok, that is bad news. I'm assuming columnaris again. Having the QT slightly below 25C or 77F will slow down the bacterial infection. Also a little salt at a teaspoon to a tablespoon per 5gal will help as a tonic. Next water change out the copper sulphate as that is more useful for parasites and replace it with gram negative antibiotics like
Nitrofurazone (Furan-2*), Kanamycin (Kanaplex*), or Minocycline (Maracyn-2) which are gram- options. Triple sulfa can be hit or miss, works best if used early on for columnaris.

Back
Top Bottom