New fish has ick?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, that is bad news. I'm assuming columnaris again. Having the QT slightly below 25C or 77F will slow down the bacterial infection. Also a little salt at a teaspoon to a tablespoon per 5gal will help as a tonic. Next water change out the copper sulphate as that is more useful for parasites and replace it with gram negative antibiotics like
Nitrofurazone (Furan-2*), Kanamycin (Kanaplex*), or Minocycline (Maracyn-2) which are gram- options. Triple sulfa can be hit or miss, works best if used early on for columnaris.

This time it's different it's spots on her head idk if it's the same thing or not I'm gonna see how she's doing tomorrow

To be honest I wouldn't get any more fish for a month. Without knowing more details it's hard to comment but columnaris can last in an empty tank for a month. So I'd do extra water changes and hopefully get the tank to settle down. I'd also grab a small tank or clear plastic container for a QT. I've found that removing the sick fish promptly prevents infection spreading and then you can decide how to treat or if the fish is lost. Salt (NaCl) can then be used in the QT and I've found that will often help while you sort out a treatment plan.

To be honest I wouldn't get any more fish for a month. Without knowing more details it's hard to comment but columnaris can last in an empty tank for a month. So I'd do extra water changes and hopefully get the tank to settle down. I'd also grab a small tank or clear plastic container for a QT. I've found that removing the sick fish promptly prevents infection spreading and then you can decide how to treat or if the fish is lost. Salt (NaCl) can then be used in the QT and I've found that will often help while you sort out a treatment plan.

I'm not getting anymore rams I have a bunch of other fish and none of them have had a problem it's only female rams I don't get it! I have a QT tank that's what she was in when she died

Back
Top Bottom