New fish has ick?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcarolinex3

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405453191.114777.jpg
Please tell me this isn't bad I put melafix in as soon as I saw it and took the carbon out of my filter. Most of the other fish seem great except the pearl gourami who is hiding in a plant at the bottom...

Not ich, tell us about the tank please

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

its a 55 gallon used for saltwater before i got it. I noticed white marshmellow looking thing on the glass i got it off talked to my aquarist uncle and he said it was something saltwater and wouldn't bother my fish and i had rummy nose tetra and a dwarf gourami all doing great... there is still a small white spot on the glass but it isn't spreading so I'm not sure if its the marshmallow. I got dalmation mollies and maybe some type of barb I forget but one of them got this white spot and i treated the tank with copper sulfate and turned off my filter (now i know not to do) like the instructions said and woke up to pale rummys and fish acting weird. i turned the filter back on and did a huge water change the rummys got better 2 maybe barbs died including the one with the spot and one mollie. not counting the fry i didn't realized were laid in the bag while floating that was a different issue but maybe it was the stress of the both because it was a couple days after i fixed the tank. I returned everything but the tetra because they didn't have a big enough school anymore. kept just the tetra for about a week and I just got 2 german ram cichlids (one developed the spot), 2 Denison Barb (acting fine) a pearl gourami (hiding under a plant) and a killifish (seems fine) and all the rummys are still great and brightly colored.

Holy moleyy that's a can of worms there. So what steps were taken in prepping this tank for fw? Copper is hard core?? No? How long has this tank been running?

I'm new to the whole aquarium thing so I'm blaming my uncle for the copper incident! Shouldn't have use it! I'm guessing it's been running since June 25th. The is acting much better since the melafix. The Cichlid is having what my other aquarist uncle told me are called flashes

Holy moleyy that's a can of worms there. So what steps were taken in prepping this tank for fw? Copper is hard core?? No? How long has this tank been running?

Sorry forgot again!

Ah, I was hoping it wasn't. Where was the white spot on the other fish?

To me that looks like columnaris (gram negative bacterial infection).

Just in case have you tested the water after using the copper sulphate?

Edit - does the white patch go down the other side of the fish?

I did but only with test strips and it was fine but then went on vacation and had my neighbor feed the fish (while I only had the tetras) and the water was way to hard so I did another huge water change and it was back to normal. Why doesn't this thingy bother my tetra? And it's kinda a bump in the middle of a white line that goes down one side and stops half way down the other. Will melafix help it?!

I keep forgetting to make the posts replies! Sorry!

Would columnaris also grow on the glass?

The white patch going down both sides does suggest columnaris imo. I've found it either spreads really quickly or more slowly among weaker fish.

It sounds like the melafix is helping? If so, I would give it a week total and combine with pimafix if you have it. Generally mela and Pima won't be strong enough but they are a funny lot of meds that will work every so often. If it's working, it's working - just start looking around for stronger meds if it doesn't. Water changes will help as well as it reduces the amount of organic waste in the tank.

The white patch on the glass - can you give more details? If it is at the water surface level may be a mineral deposit and just unsightly. Anywhere else it might be a mold or something. Any concerns I'd clean it off until it is gone.

Edit - columnaris will not grow on the glass.

The white patch going down both sides does suggest columnaris imo. I've found it either spreads really quickly or more slowly among weaker fish.

It sounds like the melafix is helping? If so, I would give it a week total and combine with pimafix if you have it. Generally mela and Pima won't be strong enough but they are a funny lot of meds that will work every so often. If it's working, it's working - just start looking around for stronger meds if it doesn't. Water changes will help as well as it reduces the amount of organic waste in the tank.

The white patch on the glass - can you give more details? If it is at the water surface level may be a mineral deposit and just unsightly. Anywhere else it might be a mold or something. Any concerns I'd clean it off until it is gone.

Edit - columnaris will not grow on the glass.

The spot is still the same but the fishes color is much better and he's acting more normal! On the glass it was larger and looked like a marshmellow I got it off and it hasn't come back but there's still some in a dent that I can't scrub out

The spot is still the same but the fishes color is much better and he's acting more normal! On the glass it was larger and looked like a marshmellow I got it off and it hasn't come back but there's still some in a dent that I can't scrub out

I'd go for a stronger med then in a day or so as the spot is not reducing in size. So worth checking out lfs now just in case for what you can pick up. Depends if the spot is still the infection or just clean scar tissue from the infection.

I've had that where salt or waterlife myxazin will beat it back but can't cure. As soon as there is any stress it comes back. Can you QT?

On the glass spot, I'd try hydrogen peroxide (3% solution I think is common in US) and squirt it on the spot with an eye dropper under water. I do that with black beard algae as a spot treatment. May get rid of it.

I'd go for a stronger med then in a day or so as the spot is not reducing in size. So worth checking out lfs now just in case for what you can pick up. Depends if the spot is still the infection or just clean scar tissue from the infection.

I've had that where salt or waterlife myxazin will beat it back but can't cure. As soon as there is any stress it comes back. Can you QT?

On the glass spot, I'd try hydrogen peroxide (3% solution I think is common in US) and squirt it on the spot with an eye dropper under water. I do that with black beard algae as a spot treatment. May get rid of it.

The spot has gotten smaller so I think I'm okay with just the melafix. I don't like using too many chemicals. Especially after the copper incident? I'll try the hydrogen peroxide on the glass!
Thanks for all the help☺️

Back
Top Bottom