New fish now on deaths door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought a few cichlids today...two of them are on the verge of kicking the bucket..one looked actually dead but still flutters..i've removed it from the tank..others have thought it was food so it definitly looks picked on..another one i found hiding in one of my plants not moving much...i've moved both of the fish into a bucket...not the best but i figured they'd be better away from others picking on them...plus petsmart has this dead fish policy thing...i also noticed on another fish his eye is funny...i dunno if i bought him like that..but its like this extra layer of skin over it

How's your water? Everything in check? Did they bag the cichlids in the same bag (could have fought in transit)?

its at 7.6..i think i might do a water change...yeah they were in the same bag...as far as i know they were fine during the trip home..not fighting...

Everything else in your water check out okay? nitrates, nitrites? and yes PWC would be my suggestion. How're the fish in the bucket?

i dont think we have a nitrate and trites test i'll have to check in the other room tomorrow (that cabinet is in my parents room and their asleep)...one of them died..which i knew would...cause he was that far off..the other is just hanging around not really swimming but still has color..i'm currently doing a water change

maybe the second will do fine..i walked in and looked and he swam around the bucket really quick...i wish i knew for sure what it was..i really do not believe its a jack demsey

That really sucks. Give us retail'ers a bad name. Hope everything works out! Good luck!

i'm really curious as to what the ph etc of the store that i got them from is like..compared to mine..

Hey here's another suggestion. It may work. Redecorate ur main tank. Maybe ur older fishes were attacking the new ones because they were trying to protect their territories.

And, (going back a few posts) It wouldn't hurt to ask the retailer to check the pH, for you (of their tanks) this shouldn't be an un-common request for cichlids.

gkuzel said:
And, (going back a few posts) It wouldn't hurt to ask the retailer to check the pH, for you (of their tanks) this shouldn't be an un-common request for cichlids.

It shouldn't but this is pet smart were talking about here...with the many times I've been in there things are labeled wrong they have no clue what their talking about or no clue that I can name their "assorted cichlids"

This is true. I work for PetCo. And I shudder when people I work with walk into aquatics and think they know what they're talking about. I apologize for all the other retailers out there. IMHO, I'd go in and ask to talk to the store manager, not to get the employees in trouble, just to tell him to get his stuff in line.

Back
Top Bottom