New fish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henrysdad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I picked up 4 green barbs from a trusted lfs for my 55g community tank..after acclimating them to my water and releasing them I noticed one swimming nose down..I got up this morning and he's still doing it and stays by its self..I have a 14 day return policy but I'd rather nurse this one back to health..1486999036351.jpg

hen...

You can start the healing process with a larger than normal water change. Make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. The flush of pure water that's a bit warmer is all most fish need to feel energized.

B

hen...

You can start the healing process with a larger than normal water change. Make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. The flush of pure water that's a bit warmer is all most fish need to feel energized.

B

Errmahhgerdd... decaf b.. sometimes fish need medication to solve problems. Unless you have some magic well that possesses healing powers from a mystic land?? Your fish need meds too.. Do you just make this stuff up? Did someone teach you this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Errmahhgerdd... decaf b.. sometimes fish need medication to solve problems. Unless you have some magic well that possesses healing powers from a mystic land?? Your fish need meds too.. Do you just make this stuff up? Did someone teach you this?

Well said

I don't know about head standing?? Could be a swim bladder issue. I'd just take him back personally..get a few more too, they're little punks, smaller numbers can lead to increased aggression and targeting.

If you don't take it back, which would be a totally fine thing to do, at least move it to a hospital tank to treat it.

It's most likely a swim bladder issue, which can be caused by a wide variety of illnesses and injuries. It's possible this fish just had a rough trip. However, if there's any pathogen involved, you want to prevent it from spreading. If you need medicine, it will be a lot easier to medicate a smaller tank than your 55 gallon.

Edit: the totally fine is taking it back. You're not being a bad fish parent taking it back.

Last edited:

[emoji106] [emoji106]

Let's just add warmer water than what they are acclimated to so it can shock them.... It's okay to go a degree higher or lower but to much will kill the fish...... I would take him back tbh, I know you want to be the Dr and a good fish keeper but sometimes meds don't work, and don't add warmer water always temperature match, and with those barbs you want a bigger school of them I think it's like 6-10 recommended, what other fish do you have in the tank? Is the tank cycled is the main question as I didn't see if you posted it or your tank parameters.

Let's just add warmer water than what they are acclimated to so it can shock them.... It's okay to go a degree higher or lower but to much will kill the fish...... I would take him back tbh, I know you want to be the Dr and a good fish keeper but sometimes meds don't work, and don't add warmer water always temperature match, and with those barbs you want a bigger school of them I think it's like 6-10 recommended, what other fish do you have in the tank? Is the tank cycled is the main question as I didn't see if you posted it or your tank parameters.
The tank is cycled. 55g temp is 79°f ph 7,0 ammonia 0.0 nitrite 0.0 I have 2 large Angels.3 black skirted tetras. 2 zebra barbs.4 green barbs and a really stunted bala shark(5 years old 1 1/2 long)I rescued/took from my aunt's 10g

I'm taking it back today I've had it by its self in a 5g hospital tank same water as the main tank and its getting a bit worse seems to struggle swimming in the flow of a small filter ?

Back
Top Bottom