New fish, sporadic, sudden deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ich wiped out what was left in my tank several weeks back. I left it running and cranked the heat up for a month or more.

I introduced 20 tiny (2cm) Cardinal Tetras to the tank Monday evening. They all survived the 2 hour trip home from the store.

Tuesday morning, I got to work, there was a dead one stuck to the filter intake and another at the bottom. The one on the intake still had good color. The rest looked good, no abnormalities, no spots, good color, normal behavior. Double checked water parameter. All is good, temp was 80F and I backed down the heater one notch.

Tuesday evening, I lost one more.

Wednesday morning, I lost two more.

Wednesday afternoon, I lost one.

Thursday morning, I lost two. Others look great.

Thursday evening, I noticed one wasn't swimming well. I lost 1 more.

Friday morning, everyone looked good. Friday afternoon, just before I leave, I notice one is swimming abnormally upward and twirling, then on its side midwater and struggling.

I figured with the long commute and stress, I'd lose a few in the first night. But I'm perplexed that I'm losing them 4 days later. One moment they all look great and two hours later, one of them can't swim right. I just don't get it. No ammonia, low nitrate, ro water, mid ph and kh, and it's 78 degrees. Plastic plants and african driftwood are all that's in there with them.

Any ideas? I'm totally lost and frustrated by this one.

If you had no fish in your tank for several weeks then the tank needs to be recycled. All the bacteria are dead along with the fish unless you continued to feed the bacteria.

What are you using to test the water parms?

Recommend a large PWC and start the cycle again based on what you have said so far.

if it's all r/o water did you replace the nutrients that r/o takes out?

If you had no fish in your tank for several weeks then the tank needs to be recycled. All the bacteria are dead along with the fish unless you continued to feed the bacteria.

What are you using to test the water parms?

Recommend a large PWC and start the cycle again based on what you have said so far.

Cycle never stopped. I think I had enough crap in the tank to feed the bacteria. I got nothing on my test strips earlier. Today, I took my water to the store and they got nothing for ammonia or nitrite on the chemical test and low nitrate levels. Fortunately, it looks like things stabilized. Lost 10 of 20, but none in the last 36 hours (knock on wood).

Could be your acclimation method? If you do the ol bag in the water for 15 minutes and then dump em in method you are bound to lose fish. The shock of different conditions kills them and it can take days for them to either die or make it through. Also not good cause it could add nasties from the outside of the bag and the fish store water.

Nope, it's a 2 hour ride home.
I cut the bags, float them for 15, then add some water from the tank to the bag.
Wait 5 or so minutes, add more tank water to bag.
Wait 5 or so minutes, add more tank water to bag.
Maybe once more, then I net them out and into the tank. No hood light, just light from the room. Let them wander around for a several minutes then I leave the office in the dark and go home.

Tis a mystery we have. What about how many stores and breeders add chemicals to the water and changing that condition didn't go over well? Just playing with some theories here! Also do you have an angry girlfriend? I here they don't mix well with fish.

I don't mean to butt in on this thread, but what is the right way to acclimate fish? I was told to float the bag for 15 minutes. Those fish store people keep leading me in the wrong direction. Sorry to hear about you fish Scott. I hope the rest pull through. :)

Arguably the best way is called the "drip method" It involves putting your new fish and its water in a container and then setting up a syphon with some spare airline tube. then clip it or tie it in a knot or whatever so that you get a slow drip going into the container with your fish. It is slow and takes an hour or two but it acclimates your fish in the slowest way allowing the fish to adapt and ensuring the least amount of shock. Look it up if you would like a more detailed explanation. The way he described above is a sort of inbetween method but is still much safer than the method you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom