New fry and bad water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Had my black molly give birth to about 30 fry yesturday. Tested water earlier today and pretty much everything is off the charts. Did a 25 percent water change and retested and didn't help much. The fry are all laying on the bottom of the breeder box. What to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What parameters are off the charts? Ammo? Nitrite? Nitrate?

If its any of those, do as many PWC as possible.

How big is the tank and why are the params off so much?

Literally everything is high. Nitrate was like 160. Nitrite 5. PH 8.5kh 180 gh 180. I vacuumed on the 1st. Replaced my filter then too.
10 gallon planted with a black molly pair, the fry, 4 neon tetras 2 black tetras a small mystery snail and 2 African frogs. Only thing new or different are the fry.

How much water and how often for the pwc?

How long has the tank been cycled?

FYI, you probably should not have changed the filter, that is where the beneficial bacteria live that convert the ammonia and nitrite (bad bacteria) to nitrate (less dangerous).

Basically, new filters will cause ammonia and later nitrite to go higher, not lower.

Doing several small water changes daily (a gallon or more each time) if possible will really help the fish survive while the cycle re-establishes itself.

If you have access to cycled filter media or even substrate from another aquarium that is well seasoned, it will help your beneficial bacteria count increase.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using? Most have instructions on using additional dosages which will help temporarily neutralize the poisonous properties of ammonia and/or nitrite.

You can also just do one very large one (50% or more) daily until the cycle re-establishes itself.

Tanks been up for well over a year. Been monitoring levels about 3 months and haven't had problems. I actually have the old filter. Most of it stayed wet. I save the water for watering plants and usually just throw the filter In the bucket. Idk y. So I can put it back I to the filter system.

I was just freaking out over nothing. After doing some research I learned my parameters were about perfect. Fry are all doing good. Getting big.

Back
Top Bottom