New GBR not acclimating well...what else can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got 4 GBRs today, 3 of them acclimated fine (I drip acclimated them). They gained a lot of color back and after 3 hours, I decided to put them in the tank. The last one isn't doing so well (I think it's one of the females). I tried putting her in the tank, but she just sunk to the bottom and laid on her side. I decided to take her back out and put her back in the acclimation tank (and shes there now, in the darkest place I could put her). What else can I do, or what should I do at this point? She doesn't have a lot of color at all, and shes just on her side.

I would just make sure the aquarium light is off, and maybe gave some refuge she can hide behind if she feels scared. Good luck with your GBR.

Should I put her back in the big tank? I took her out and have her in a 3 gallon tank acclimating again.

Not sure about this one...... She probably shouldn't be moved too much, because it will create stress. She may be stressed in with all the other fish, and if they start to pick on her, then she would get even more stressed. Then again, I am not sure if she would be stressed also in a 3G tank. Although, the movement of the big tank might be stressful also. Hmmmmmm, sorry I could be more of a help.

I think I'll leave her drip acclimating in the 3 gallon for an other few hours. It's under the aquarium in the cabinet so it's nice and dark under there. Hopefully she pulls through.

FishN00b83 said:
I think I'll leave her drip acclimating in the 3 gallon for an other few hours. It's under the aquarium in the cabinet so it's nice and dark under there. Hopefully she pulls through.

I hope so! Good luck!

Thank you! I'll check on her a little bit later. Hopefully I find a happy little ram in there haha.

It happens I guess. I PMed the person I got them from on these boards, hopefully they can send another one.

On the brite side, the other 3 seem to be doing quite well. I have all the lights off in the room and they're all active checking out their new home.

jetajockey said:
thats one of the reasons I quit breeding electric blue rams and gold rams, they can be just so sensitive and priority shipping can be pretty tough on them.

Yeah I can see that being rough on anything. It's really crazy I live in NYC and I can't find one good fish store. I've been to a bunch and all of them are real crap.

you might have a future problem if you have 2 males and only 1 female. it's usually a ratio of 2 females to 1 male to avoid fighting males vying for the female. that can be a problem. they are probably too young at this time but just wanted to pass it on. sorry to hear about the gbr that died. i will say that if your 3 gal acclimating tank didn't have a heater the water might have gotten too cold for the gbr. they like temperature of around 80-82. i usually only acclimate about an hour for that reason. the water just gets too cold during a long acclimation time.

jpchin said:
you might have a future problem if you have 2 males and only 1 female. it's usually a ratio of 2 females to 1 male to avoid fighting males vying for the female. that can be a problem. they are probably too young at this time but just wanted to pass it on. sorry to hear about the gbr that died. i will say that if your 3 gal acclimating tank didn't have a heater the water might have gotten too cold for the gbr. they like temperature of around 80-82. i usually only acclimate about an hour for that reason. the water just gets too cold during a long acclimation time.

I contacted the seller and they said they'd send an other female.

redsea said:
If they are open, it sounds like it might be a cool place, on their site it says they were featured on Good Morning America.

I'll call and find out tomorrow. I think I remember calling a while ago, bu you never know. Hopefully they're open because I've been to nothing but garbage stores so far

Back
Top Bottom