New guppies gasping at top of tank?! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollywestern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought some new fish yesterday, a few male guppies, corys and neons. Three of the guppies are staying at the top of the tank and look like they are gasping. What could this be? All my other fish are fine new and old and one of the new guppies is swimming around fine. Is there anything I can do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

I bought some new fish yesterday, a few male guppies, corys and neons. Three of the guppies are staying at the top of the tank and look like they are gasping. What could this be? All my other fish are fine new and old and one of the new guppies is swimming around fine. Is there anything I can do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello Mol...

There is. Change out some of the tank water. A bit larger than normal water change is just what the tank needs. I keep Guppies and Platys and these fish thrive in pure tank water with a bit of standard aquarium salt added. I add a bit more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. It will benefit the fishes' breathing system. Some will "poo-poo" this, but my fish appear to do very well with a little.

Add some floating plants like Hornwort. It's a natural water filter and helps the fish get used to their new environment. The combination of a lot of pure water, surface plants and a bit of salt will perk up the fish.

B

You might have added enough fish at one time to set off a mini cycle. It is suggested to only add 2-3 at a time (a few more for larger tanks) I would do a water change ASAP after you test parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like ammonia, you have to have a good amount of "good" bacteria to eat leftover food so that it dosent rot and produce ammonia, which is toxic to fish. You need to do Water changes daily until it gets "cycled" or that is the good bacteria starts to grow on your filter and or substrate.

Back
Top Bottom