new guppies with stringy white poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yoshio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi from a newbie to your site,
i recently bought 4 guppies, 1 male and 3 females 2 weeks ago to join up with 2 mollies in a cycled tank that's 22 gallons. 2 of the females display white stringy poop and 1 of them had already died. Found her on the bottom of the track with white spots. The second one afected had just displayed signs of white stringy poop and i could imagine the same fate soon if nothings done soon. Hopefully all the rest of the fish are not affected yet.

What should i do at this point. Have just changed 25% of the water.

Ammonia: 0ppm
nitrites: 0
Nitrates: ?

Thanks for reading.

DO they look bloated? Do they refuse to eat? Do they become paralysied before death? Sit on the bottom or hang?
There is a bad bug going around that attacks the guppies and resists Metronidazole. I can explain a treatment that worked for me, but I want comformation first your guppies have the same thing mine had. I have been fighting it all summer fall and winter, and just recently found a cure.

Hi, the quick answer is yes.
I thought it was a pregnancy at first but i think the bloating was caused by the Bug. As a result she passed ah yesterday. Having said that the other fish, 2 male mollies and 1m,1f guppy seem OK at this point. Gave the tank a25% water change after losing the guppy. Previously tried using melafix to the prescribed amounts but to no avail. Will reevaluate everything such as water quality, fish food. This is a newly recycled tank with old substrate and filter medium added and the readings are normal as disclosed in my original post. Interested to see what your successful cure for the parasites are. ...

Thanks
yoshio

My cure for this condition was more of a band aid on a gunshot wound, but what works works.
I used Acriflavin/Rid ich plus in their water to keep it green. I did not feed for the first 2 days. I turned up the temp, and I bought some Epsom salt from the pharmacy store. I put the Epsom salt directly into the water at the rate of 1TBSP per ten gallons. I then prepared a 3% solution of Epsom salt by adding 1TBSP to 2 Cups of water. I set this water aside. When I did feed, I feed only frozen food that was thawed for 30 minutes in a small portion of the Epsom salt water in a separate container (I used a styraphoam bait container, like those you get worms for going fishing at the late) Fed them the brine shrimp and bloodworms with a baby syringe. I keep the water at 82 and keep dosing the Acriflavin/malachite Green half and half strength every day. Partial water change on day 3. Chemical was removed from water with big 50% change and carbon on day 6. I have not noticed any problem with them in the last 2 weeks. So far so good. There is a guppy disease going around, there may be other ways of killing it, but this I got from an expert breeder who has been breeding guppies for over 60 years, and it was the only thing that worked. Metronidazole did not ever work for me, even several attempts at it. I have been fighting this new guppy disease for almost 1 year. Tried most common medicines. None worked but this.. hope I can help others with this new superbug. Also please note that you are NOT suppose to combine Metronidazole with any ICK medicine like acriflavin or malachite green.

Back
Top Bottom