New guppy - dead, established molly sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g, 80 degrees, pH 7.6-7.8 (can't quite tell), nitrates - 0, nitrites - 0, ammonia - 0. Tank is only about 1 month old but I used filter media from an established 6-month-old tank that had been stable for months (also cycled with old tank material). Neither tank ever had any ammonia or nitrite spikes. grav

gravel substrate
aquaclear 50 HOB filter
5 plants (mostly from my 10 gallon)
3 mollies (1 from my old 10 gallon, 2 in the tank for a month)
6 neon tetras (in the tank for about 3 weeks)
4 cardinal tetras (in the tank for about 2 weeks)
3 guppies (in the tank for about 1 week)

Everyone has been doing great in the roomier tank until this past week. I brought home 3 male guppies and after 3 days, one was looking unhappy. He would hang near the top, but not gulping, just seeming like he was trying to stay afloat. His spine also seemed less rigid (vertically) than usual - in other words, it seemed like his spine was a little curved head-to-tale. Then he would hang out behind the filter. I moved him to a 5-gallon quarantine tank with a tetra whisper 10 filter that I leave running in my 29 gallon for such emergencies. He died within the day.

Now it has been another couple of days and my black lyretail molly (who I've had for about a month) is starting to act odd. She seemed like she couldn't quite stay afloat, hanging out near the bottom, resting on the gravel (but upright), etc. As soon as I noticed, I set up the 5-gallon qt again, added a tablespoon of aquarium salt and moved her over.

Now I'm worried about her, but also for all of the fish in my tank! I shouldn't have bought the guppies because I noticed that one of the other tanks at the LFS had a new batch of mollies with many looking unwell, but I was impatient to continue stocking my 29-gallon. Terrible mistake.

Is there anything I can do for my molly? I haven't noticed any spots, growths, fungus, worms, or anything like that - just the strange behavior.

Should I do anything preventative in my 29-gallon? I don't usually use aquarium salt because of my plants, but is it warranted in this case? I know it can benefit sick mollies but I don't know about the guppies or tetras.

Help!

She died. ��
My other two mollies and the two remaining guppies and my tetras are still looking healthy soar this point I'm just thankful fo that. Do you think I should have done anything differently?

Internal problems are very hard to deal with
You shoul read up about parasites and internal parasitic worms (nematoes)

Bringing new fish into a tank is always a risk, perhaps the QT tank was a shock for the already weak fish?
At this point I would just do lots of partial water changes, you'd be surprised how water changes benefit the over all health of the fish.

Back
Top Bottom