New info for the mysterious comet death! Please help! I don't want to lose another!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

So if you read my other post lately, I've slowly lost my corycats, I thought it was just them not coping with ph requirements as I know they generally like lower ph. Then... I lost a comet a few days ago to a really fast acting problem and we couldn't figure it out in time. Water parameters are optimal (see other) I just tested, and even my Nitrates are
At the same time of the comet misfortune, I had a platy with a spot on her head which I thought was an injury. It looks slightly better so maybe it was, maybe not, idk. But... She started flashing and rubbing on stuff as of today! I see no spots on anyone. So this is a parasite right? I have no idea.. What should I treat with? Also, should I treat the whole tank so the others dont get it? Remember, I also have baby fry in the same tank.. Please help! so far she seems fine other than the flashing every so often, but at the rate I lost my comet I don't have much time!

Okay, so I was just re visiting the sticky guide to diagnosing, and I'm thinking maybe a fungus? Says fungal also treats bacteria as well as a safe guard. What do you think? I have some Binox...

I wouldnt know what to tell you about what it could be seeing I haven't had any out breaks in my tanks, but it sounds like you have an infection of some sort, and yes it could possibly be fungus. If I were you I would treat the whole tank seeing they are all living in the same water. I don't know what that could possibly do to the fry. Hopefully someone with experience in this comes along soon to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

shadylady23 said:
Wow... Now I see one of my gouramis flashing as well... pLEASE HELP ME!

I had the same problem it is Velvet I used Mardel Maracide Antibiotic it treats Velvet, ick and other External Parasites

I just don't see anything physically wrong with them though... Aren't you supposed to see velvet?

I can't tell, but MAYBE their gills are looking reddish,.. It's hard cause they're platys and they are reddish in that area anyways. Is it normal to have a little red in the gills or no? Cause if not, that may be a symtom as well..

White poo sounds like an internal parasite. Is the poo stringy or does it have knots? If so it's definitely an internal parasite. There are a lot products out there that can treat parasites. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with the medications to recommend one. I'm also not sure how your fry will react to the meds. I do know that if you don't treat for the parasites they can affect all your fish.

It didn't seem to have knots, it was thick and very smooth, and kinda long. Almost like a constipated poo, but white. There was one small dark spot in it

Back
Top Bottom