New Oscars....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If i were to get a few cups or that gravel how long do you think it would take for my water be back to normal?

If i were to get a few cups or that gravel how long do you think it would take for my water be back to normal?

Cant say for sure, but it will be a lot faster than starting from scratch. The more bio load (crap, decaying food ect) the more bacteria it takes to consume it.

If you add some "good bacteria" it will start catching up rather rapidly.

I just re-started an old 75gal SW with pure ammonia and it has taken almost 3 weeks.

Well i think its safe to say that the one oscar is good to go. He or she is swimming around and eating the bloodworms just fine, but still it wont chase the feeder fish. The only bad news is that the other oscar has probably eaten about 5 blood worms in the week and a half that ive had him. It occasionally will swim around with the other one but mostly lays on its side.

That could be from Ammonia poisoning from not cycling your tank. But, that's just my guess. Do not forget to read up on cycling a tank and keep up with water changes in order to keep Ammonia at a safe level- it's toxic! Also, remember that anything above 0 for Ammonia and Nitrites is unsafe.
Good luck! :)

I have been doing some more research on cycling but i have heard mixed opinions. I am keeping up on my water changes but some places say that water changes will slow down the cycling period. im not exactly sure what to do and i dont mind doing 2 a day or how ever many as long as it keeps the fish safe and healthy.

I have been doing some more research on cycling but i have heard mixed opinions. I am keeping up on my water changes but some places say that water changes will slow down the cycling period. im not exactly sure what to do and i dont mind doing 2 a day or how ever many as long as it keeps the fish safe and healthy.

A good quality bacterial addative will definitely help. API stress zyme is what I have used with newer tanks, but I also always combined that with seeded filter floss and seeded gravel. I personally wouldnt go overboard on water changes....at the most 5 gallons every other day. That is just my opinion.

Well i think its safe to say that the one oscar is good to go. He or she is swimming around and eating the bloodworms just fine, but still it wont chase the feeder fish. The only bad news is that the other oscar has probably eaten about 5 blood worms in the week and a half that ive had him. It occasionally will swim around with the other one but mostly lays on its side.

Feeder fish? How many are in the tank and what variety? Or are they housed elsewhere and put it when you try to feed? There's a lot of differing opinions on feeder fish, but I know most stores sell minnows and small goldfish which are not housed in the cleanest conditions often having various issues. Not to mention that goldfish at least put out a lot of waste and with everything else going on it'd definitely be harder for your filter to keep up.

That is assuming you actually have them in there all the time. :)

Not sure if that's going on or not, but hope everything gets better soon. :wave:

Skip the feeder fish and use a quality pellet. I have a pair of full size oscars that are fed exclusively on New life jumbo and Hikari Bio-Gold. Feeder fish transfer diseases and infections and one of the number one causes of death is from fatty liver disease.

Feeder fish

+1 to HUKIT. You always have to be careful with feeder fish because they're never treated well and commonly end up having transferable diseases.

sorry it has been so long since i've been back. I started student teaching and got really busy. One of my oscars ended up dying, i was told from a bad swim bladder. I got a new oscar a short while after and was a little nervous about putting it in with my old one. I waited until the 55 was cycled and then introduced them at the same time. THey have been palling around together ever since. Thank you for all of the help.

Back
Top Bottom