New oto has ich :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Took me forever to find these guys. Couple days since I've had them and I noticed one has ich. I'm bummed... :( turned up my heater when I noticed. I hope he makes it...

Attachments

• image-509063587.jpg
    image-509063587.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 120
Major bummer. Crank the heat slowly. I would do a PWC every day and gravel vac real good.

Should I try the aquarium salt treatment? I don't want a breakout. Everyone else has been healthy for a while, I don't think they'll catch it but still... Gonna check the params and do water changes on my tanks tonight so I'll do what I can.

I wouldn't. After always using salt, I recently used heat only and got the exact same results. Oto's are known to be quite sensitive so messing with as little as possible is best. Salt would also wreak havoc on your plants.

siva said:
I wouldn't. After always using salt, I recently used heat only and got the exact same results. Oto's are known to be quite sensitive so messing with as little as possible is best. Salt would also wreak havoc on your plants.

Thanks siva, I'll let the heat rise slowly and keep an eye on em. I have RCS and an assassin snail in the tank, will they be okay with the warm water?

Yes. You might notice some excessive molting from the RCS, but that's normal with the heat increase. 86 degrees always does the trick for me. Remeber to keep the lights out too. :)

siva said:
Yes. You might notice some excessive molting from the RCS, but that's normal with the heat increase. 86 degrees always does the trick for me. Remeber to keep the lights out too. :)

Lights out? I'm trying to grow algae here! Hahaha ok ok, heat up lights out.

Good call. Culture some algae seperately for them during this period. Put some rocks in a container and leave them a window sill or under a CFL bulb until they have a good algae film, then add them to the tank for the oto's to graze on.

siva said:
Good call. Culture some algae seperately for them during this period. Put some rocks in a container and leave them a window sill or under a CFL bulb until they have a good algae film, then add them to the tank for the oto's to graze on.

Fantastic idea! I would have never thought of that... I might just end up doing this regularly for all my algae eaters. Any suggestions as to what type of rock?

I just use some river rock..stuff from a bag from lowes for landscaping and stuff. Wild caught algae eaters especially really enjoy this. It's so good for them and free! I've had oto's that wouldn't touch prepared foods, atleast not for a long time, so this was a must. I have no doubt there would be much less premature oto death if this technique was used more.

Hey guys - hope your oto's made it! I just got back from a special trip for 2 zebra oto's, one of which has ich! :( I was on a wait list and everything for these special guys. So anyways they're floating in their bag in my tank right now... I've got 2 peppered cory's in here already...if I turn up the heat, is this gonna hurt them? I know they don't tolerate high temps well. Also, how long does it take to kill ich with only high temps?

Hey guys - hope your oto's made it! I just got back from a special trip for 2 zebra oto's, one of which has ich! :( I was on a wait list and everything for these special guys. So anyways they're floating in their bag in my tank right now... I've got 2 peppered cory's in here already...if I turn up the heat, is this gonna hurt them? I know they don't tolerate high temps well. Also, how long does it take to kill ich with only high temps?

Wow, this is an old thread... Lol

I turn up the heat until all signs of ich are gone, then leave it high for a week or so after that. All the while, do some extra water changes. You don't happen to have a QT tank?

I do have a small 2.5 gal tank I could set up....I'm just worried about the changing parameters from their old tank to my QT tank then to my home tank killing them, if not the ich. I suppose I could put my Cory's in the small tank for a cpl weeks and keep the oto's in the main tank...

The Otos would be better in the qt tank. Could you use some media from your display tank to try and instant cycle the qt?

Don't worry about switching them from tank to tank. It's best to drip acclimate, rather than just float the bag. What I do is pour the new fish and their existing water in to a bowl with a small heater set to match their new tank. Then I add about a shot glass of water from their new tank in to the bowl every ten minutes for about an hour- hour and a half. Gives them time to adjust slowly to the new ph and other parameters. Then just net them from the bowl and place them in their new home. Hope this helps! :D

I too would also recommend turning up the heat slowly. I did it over a day at a couple of degrees every few hours. 3-4 days is along time to leave it untreated it would scare me. 3 to 4 days of feeling helpless.

I too would also recommend turning up the heat slowly. I did it over a day at a couple of degrees every few hours. 3-4 days is along time to leave it untreated it would scare me. 3 to 4 days of feeling helpless.

Thanks for chiming in molli. It's been a while since I've had to deal with it so I'm a little rusty. Just didn't want rush it and shock them with temp change. I'm sure a day or 2 is fine as you suggested. :)

Thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't think of it.....I used a piece of sponge from my display tank's filter and 100% water from the tank too. Moved a few plants for them to nom on as well. Lol man these guys are busy little munchers! Thanks for the help! there's only a few small specks of Ich so hopefully it will go away quickly.

Thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't think of it.....I used a piece of sponge from my display tank's filter and 100% water from the tank too. Moved a few plants for them to nom on as well. Lol man these guys are busy little munchers! Thanks for the help! there's only a few small specks of Ich so hopefully it will go away quickly.

Anytime! :) I have to say, I'm jealous. I've always wanted some zebra otos! Where did you find them? Can we get a few pics??? :)

Anytime! :) I have to say, I'm jealous. I've always wanted some zebra otos! Where did you find them? Can we get a few pics??? :)

Hehe...I've wanted them for a long time :) I got them at A Place For Pets in Burien, Wa. They're pricey, for Oto's. I'll try to upload a few shots

Back
Top Bottom